Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car accident

Hi everyone,

I was involved in a car accident the day before yesterday. My brother was driving, and as we were pulling away from a set of traffic lights, another car decided to start turning right, and we went straight into the front of it. Both cars are write-offs. We weren't driving at an excessive speed, less than 30 MPH since we had only just left the traffic lights, but the crash did jolt me forwards.

I'm six-months post surgery, and my back feels mostly fine. I called my surgeon yesterday and he wants to see me to make sure everything is OK, so I have an appointment with him on Monday.

I was not at all impressed with my GP, however. I went to visit her yesterday because my mother was worried about my spine and just wanted her to take a look at it. My neck has been aching a lot since the accident, and she diagnosed whiplash, but she didn't seem at all worried about my back, since, apparently, I now have a "super-strong" back. Is it just me, or is the reason we're taking all these precautions like not lifting anything heavy, or bending a lot because our backs are more fragile than before the operation? Please tell me if I've got it wrong, but that's been my impression throughout the whole thing.
    Last edited by Robbie; 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM.

I believe the reason for all the precautions is that it takes a full year for the spine to completely fuse. I am glad you were not hurt in the car accident!!
    Cathie

Comment

That is one of my worst fears, a car wreck ! how lucky you are to be alive and fairly unscathed, hope your doctor agrees on Monday- Good Luck Lisa
      Lisa age 47
      T curve 69 degrees
      L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
      fused to from T-3 to sacrum
      anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
      pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

I believe you are right. You're spine is more fragile until it completely reheals and fuses.
        44 year old female
        Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
        Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
        Posterior Only, 9 hours
        Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
        Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

I am sorry for your accident! I'm glad you are doing ok, and as you said, I would see the surgeon. As skilled as GPs are, the first one I went to see told me there was absolutely nothing I could do about my scoliosis (I'm now almost 6 weeks post-op)!

Best of luck to you!
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

After surgery, our backs do not bend like a normal back. Accidents put a great stress on our backs above and below the fusion. I was t-boned and it spun my van 180 degrees. This was 15 years post op. It caused a small shift in the hook at the base of my fusion. No big deal then, however it triggered my fusion to grow again and caused problems 10 years later. Make sure your doctor compairs post-op xrays with post accident xrays. Even the slightest movement can cause problems down the road. Everyone needs to have a set of post op xrays in case of an accident. Doctors do not save them for that many years. My daughter has a set of hers on cd for the computer. I have the real thing from after my revision surgery and recent tests (xrays, mri, ct scans).
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
            X