Bone Grafts/Sore Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone Grafts/Sore Ribs

I am wondering about what to expect with pain and soreness in the rib area as well as where they will "shave" bone from my daugher's rib hump. What are your experiences?

Thank you in advance! Teri

Amber had part of 5 ribs completely removed. Then as far as I know they "wired" them into place. She has numb areas and over her ribs is one of those places. In hospital I do remember her saying that her ribs hurt and that it hurt to lay on that side. The worst of the pain will be over by the time Allie leaves hospital. I'm not saying it will be gone but she will manage. This is something that she will adjust to and I feel it is like any other pain, you learn ways around it. You know, don't move that way, sit that way. Sit down and brace yourself if you need to sneeze or cough. As a parent I am finding every time Amber winces I am asking her if she is in pain, does she need anything. I am learning, I am annoying the heck out of her.
    I hope I am helping you. Best wishes
    Cheryl.

Comment

I had four ribs removed - I don't know if the rib shaving experience is any different. Anyway, I think that was the most painful part for me. It was hard to breathe because the intercostal muscles (between ribs) are weakened by the loss of their support. If I breathed in too deeply I had a sharp pain. I also had a lot of soreness in that area afterward - now I'm about four months post-op and they still hurt sometimes.

Also, if your daughter wears an underwire bra, I would suggest buying a cloth bra or cami. The wire tends to put too much pressure on the rib area and causes soreness.

Sorry if I scared you! I hope I've been helpful.
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Working...
      X