Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgery due late July - what should i expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery due late July - what should i expect?

Hi guys,

Well, my name is Jenny and I'm 17 years old and I have 35-40 degree lumbar curve. I'm due for surgery on July 23rd and even though my doc has explained things to me (well, the scientific icky stuff!), I could really do with people's advice who have already have it... my mum could do with some advice too because she is really worried about it - probably more than me! What happens on the day you go in before surgery? What sort of things will I need in hospital? How do I cope with the pain?
    Just any advice anybody could give me and my family would be great - my hospital isn't that helpful you see; I've called 3 times and left messages but they never answer. Don't you just love the NHS?

Jen x x
    Jenny
    18 years old
    Sept '04 - Diagnosed with 40° thoracic/lumbar curve
    Sept '07 - anterior spinal fusion T8-L2

hi jen, i think we've spoken before?

what happens in hospitals during admission varies between surgeons and hospitals, but i can imagine they'll take x-rays, take a thorough medical history and run some routine blood and lung function tests. you'll probably meet the anaesthetist and possibly your surgeon (if not, the registrar should see you) and you might get a visit from the physio too.

the main thing is just to keep yourself healthy in the run up to the surgery. cross everything that you don't come down with a cold. the only question i wasn't prepared for was being asked the exact date my last period had started, it's perhaps a good idea to go armed with that tidbit because i remember it taking me ages to work that one out, even though it had only been a few weeks.

pain management is the anaesthetist's job. some hospitals give you the option of whether to have an epidural or a PCA (patient controlled analgesia aka a morphine pump) but from what i've heard, that's pretty rare and most people i know who've had scoli surgery get given a PCA. i asked them to dose me up with anti-nausea meds to help me cope with the morphine. it's not good for you to be suffering with pain because you're too scared to take the painkillers you're given so the best advice is to take what you need when you need it. they'll most likely have you on an antibiotic IV when you come round from surgery to combat any post-op infections.

in terms of what to take with you, it's basically whatever you want. stuff to comfort you like PJs (teddies? ), music, DVDs (if you can take a laptop or know you'll have access to a DVD player). i never felt much up to reading (even trashy magazines, which is unusual for me!) because i found it too much effort but it's very much a personal thing.

baby wipes are invaluable, so is moisturiser and lip balm. the little toothbrushes you put on your finger are good too, because it's difficult to spit and rinse when you've just had surgery. take stuff to snack on too, because your appetite can be really unpredictable after surgery and you'll need to keep your energy up. loads of people say mints are good for the nauseous moments (perhaps stick to polos though because you can't accidentally choke on those) and something you like to drink which isn't water (it just gets boring, and drinking's almost as good as eating if you can't eat much).

take an outfit to go home in: nothing that needs to be pulled over your head and some comfy trackies and stable shoes. when you do get discharged, have loads of pillows for the car. you never realise how uncomfortable cars are until you go through something like this!

i hope i've not made it sound too horrendous. my 2 year anniversary is monday and i've just been discharged by my surgeon. the worst part is also the shortest, once you're out of theatre (although it might not seem like it at the time) you're on your way to recovery.

best of luck, if you've got any more questions, just shout.
    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
    braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
    fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
    Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
    scoliosis support forum

Comment

heya marmyte, yeah i think we have spoken before too!

That advice is invaluable so I wanna say thank you so much because I wouldn't have thought of a lot of that (common sense never was my strong point!!!)
      You mentioned comfy clothes as I won't really wanna lift my arms above my head; is that due to the scar? I was wondering if there are a certain type of clothes I should wear because I wasn't sure if it might be too painful to lift clothes over my head or is that just a loada rubbish? lol.
      I remember having those tests you mentioned beforehand when I was due in last year (my op ended up beign cancelled as it onlyt gave me a week to recover before starting college and that is scary enough even when you're well!). I see that you're from somewhere in the south. Whereabouts exactly and where did you have your surgery? I'm with Professor Dickson at Leeds General x x
      Jenny
      18 years old

Comment

yeah it's cause of pain, stiffness, general lack of mobility (it goes quickly, but you'll probably not feel about pulling yourself around like a ragdoll initially. and you shouldn't do it either!)

i'm from sussex, i had surgery at RNOH stanmore. i lived in leeds from september to may and then moved to solihull where i am for a year before going back to leeds. i get about a bit
        diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
        braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
        fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
        Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
        scoliosis support forum

Comment

Hi Jen
          You should also be prepared for your period to start right after surgery - even if it's not due it's a very common reaction to the kind of shock the surgery gives your body and happens to lots of people.
          Best wishes
          Lorrie

Comment

Thanks marmyte - and thanks for that period bit Laurie - another thing i wudnt have thought of!!!!

It's quite strange, im not nervous at all - is that normal?!?! lol. and i just managed to get in touch with my doc's secretary and she says they are having trouble locating an anaesthetist for me. It's amamzing, they have had a year and they still can't find one? lol. I know they're doing their best but my op's had to be moved to 7th Aug now. I'm getting rather annoyed at all these cancellations - this has been happening since June last year. Did anyone else find this happened to them too? x x
            Jenny
            18 years old

Comment

Working...
            X