Wilmington jacket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilmington jacket?

I was just curious: What is a Wilmington Jacket?
    Fairylvr

RE: Wilmington Jacket

A wilmington jacket is a brace that completley conceals from above hips to below arms.

Comment

i think my daughter's brace was called a willmington, but it did not look like that picture of the boy's brace.My daughter's brace looked like the boston brace, but it is called the willmington because of where it was originally made.

Comment

i am posting another reply because it just came to me our dr. had said it was made from the dupont institute, wilmington, delaware. Hope this helps.
        Jennifer

Comment

Yeah, that's probably why it's called that. Because that's where I got my braces made was in Delaware, Wilmington.

Comment

Wilmington Jacket

My daughter got a Wilmington Jacket on Feb. 8th. It was custom made for her at the duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, DE. Does anyone else have one so we can compare notes????
            Martha
            Mother of Laura, Age 19
            Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
            Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
            Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
            Fused T2-L2
            Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
            Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
            Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
            OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

I used to have one

Yeah. I used to have that type of brace.

But now I have one slightly different.

Comment

What brace now?

You say you used to have a Wil Jacket....what do you have now? How did you do with the Wil Jacket? Why did you change to a different one?
                Martha
                Mother of Laura, Age 19
                Fused T2-L2

Comment

I think I did somewhat better with the Wilmington Jacket from AI.

The reason why I have a different one is that I was too old for AI so I went to a similiar clinic. The only real difference is that
                  1) They had me standing when they casted me.
                  2) This brace isn't orthoplast like the ones from AI were.

Comment

Too old for AI? How old are you? Do you have to wear yours 23/7? Does it stick out in the front? What types of clothing have you had success with? Did you get used to sleeping w/ it at night? Any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated!!!!
                    Martha
                    Mother of Laura, Age 19
                    Fused T2-L2

Comment

Originally posted by malka22
                      Too old for AI? How old are you? Do you have to wear yours 23/7? Does it stick out in the front? What types of clothing have you had success with? Did you get used to sleeping w/ it at night? Any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Yeah, I'm 24 right now.

I did have to wear mine 23/7, but then didnt have to wear anymore. But few months afterwards I found that if I slept in it a few nights a week at night, it helped, until I grew out of it (which was 1-2 years later).

I think it did stick out in front, this one definately does (look like a pregnant person, especially with the one I have now!!!).

I wore cotten athletic wear, softest clothes possible was the best (definately no jeans!!!!).

And yes I definately got very used to sleeping in it at night.
                      Last edited by Wilm_Jacket; 02-21-2006, 06:25 PM.

Comment

How old were you when you first got your Wilm Jacket? Any surgery needed? Hope not! What were/are your curve degrees? May daughter's curves are 45T & 31L. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks for her in the Wilm Jacket. She's pretty miserable & is already figuring out when she can NOT wear it (i.e. her bday on March 10th, her graduation in June, etc.).
                        Martha
                        Mother of Laura, Age 19
                        Fused T2-L2

Comment

Originally posted by malka22
                          How old were you when you first got your Wilm Jacket? Any surgery needed? Hope not! What were/are your curve degrees? May daughter's curves are 45T & 31L. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks for her in the Wilm Jacket. She's pretty miserable & is already figuring out when she can NOT wear it (i.e. her bday on March 10th, her graduation in June, etc.).
                          I have actually had 2 surgeries, and I started wearing it (like 16/7) since I was 4 years old. I can't remember the degrees of my spine, but my lower one is congential and the upper is idopatic. Of course I was in mine 23/7 on my 18th birthday.

If she's not going to wear it, you should seek other options (PT, yoga, cortizone shots, any other treatment out there)
                          Last edited by Wilm_Jacket; 02-22-2006, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Hi Malka22! I just had to respond to your questions about the Wilmington brace (jacket). My daughter also has a Wilmington brace...going on 2 1/2 years now since she turned 12 (now 14 1/2). She has a double curve that started at 24/24 when she was braced. So far she has had to wear it for about 18 hrs./day which means she's out of it for school, but right back in it when she gets home, more or less. She wears a thin cotton shirt (with short sleeves) under the brace and then just a large t-shirt over it. Usually she wears lounge pants, but sometimes she'll wear the hip hugger jeans which also works. It took her a few weeks to get used to sleeping in it but eventually she got used to it. I think it's "easier" to adjust physically than it is emotionally. After 2 1/2 years I wish I could say she's okay with it all but she still struggles even though she wears it. Her biggest challenge is wearing it out in public which she doesn't often do. You can imagine it's made quite a dent in her social life.

When she first started wearing the brace we had her wear it for just a few hours a day and then worked to gradually increase it hour by hour. I have to admit we did use "incentives" which made it a little easier for her to comply. The biggest thing is for your daughter to understand why she needs to wear it. The brace had been effective in stopping the progression of the curves up until last summer. Even though she still wore it she basically outgrew it and the pushes weren't pushing in the right places anymore. She has now had 3 braces; hopefully she won't need anymore made. She has an appointment in 2 days and we'll find out where things are now. (keeping fingers crossed)

I would really appreciate "talking" to you as you are familiar with the same hospital (maybe even the same doctor? Dr. Shah...) If there's anything that I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask! One of the biggest areas that I think needs to be addressed is support...DuPont is great...the orthotics and Dr. Shah are top notch but they just look at the spine, not the whole child/young woman, which is probably why we both found this site/forum in the first place! Let me know if I can answer any other questions...hang in there...just take it one day or even one hour at a time. -
                            Attie

Comment

I had two different doctors. One I only had for 1 year because I got too old and the prior doctor moved to Florida.

I also agree that yes, DuPont is very good but they really don't want to take the time to look at the patient's inner feelings or like you said girls~women (and that right there is a big issue).

In fact I remember a bad incident and my doctor kind of just seemed to give up on me. Then he wouldn't show me my X-rays, like once I asked if I could see one and he went, "Why? What difference does it make." Then he started keeping me in the dark after my 2nd surgery. He was a very good doctor physical wise, but emotion wise, well I guess that's why he's not a psychartrist. But why, other than that he was perfect.

I just have to say this, but having the same doctor for ages 6-19 isn't good. Have one for 6-12 (kids are still cute, have no worry in the world, and they'll believe anything), then another for 13-19 (kids are now teenagers, they have more cares/worries, emotions).

Could you have a smile on your face for 8 year old patient, knowing you have very bad news to give to a 16 year old patient later that day and act like nothing else that can be done.

I tell you I couldn't keep a smile on my face if I knew you and/or your daughters were walking into my store. Just last week I saw an 8-year old girl in a Milwaukee Brace (which is much more restrictive than Wilmington Jacket) come in, and she needed to use an electric cart!
                              Last edited by Wilm_Jacket; 02-22-2006, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X