Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in December

Hey All,

I went for a check up for my scoliosis last week and my doctor told me I had a 59 degree curve! (A bit scary for me since my curve was 55 in February!)

So, now my doctor told me surgery seems like the only option .I'm scheduled to have surgery in mid December because he was booked through October. As a college student, I felt it best to just sit out the Spring semester because I'm almost positive that I wouldn't be able to undergo such a busy school schedule considering my condition.

So now I have some questions?

1. Has anyone my age (19) or any college student had surgery during the school year? If so, how long did you sit out? Were you able to take any classes (night classes, online) during recovery?

2. How much correction did you receive from your surgery? I'm currently 59 degrees.

3. Is surgery my only option?!

I have more questions, but these are 3 that I'm most worried about.

Looking forward to your replies.

ONE MORE THING:

The doctor said i didn't require a MRI due to my family history of scoliosis (2 sisters).. why else would i need an MRI? what does/can it show?
    glenda

54T
    Posterior spinal Fusion--Dec. 12, 2007
    Fusion: T5-L3

10T and Loving it!!

Hi Glenda,

I can't answer your questions but I also am scheduled for surgery in December (4th) and I also had a very rapid kyphosis curve progression - 7 degrees in 9 months!

I don't think there is a good time to have surgery but if it has to be done to stop the progression, it seems to me that soon is the best possible time.

You are very young so your recovery should be relatively quick, but I would be concerned about carrying textbooks while your spine is healing - I've been told to lift no more than 5 pounds the first several months.

Good luck.

Janet
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

What can an MRI show...

An MRI can tell you if there are any congenital malformations causing the scoliosis, such as a "tethered cord" or a spinal cord tumor to name just two. If your spinal cord was tethered and you had surgery on your spine without that information, you could be paralized. If you had a tumor causing the curve, it would need to be thoroughly investigated, etc. What I think your surgeon is trying to say is that you have a "cause" for your scoliosis and it is heredity, so he does not see any reason to look for another cause. I know these things because I have an unusual curve (only about 2% of those with scoli have it). My thoracic curve is to the left and lumbar curve is to the right (the oposite of normal in an "s" curve). So, they had to do an MRI to see if there was any other reasons for my scoli - even though I DO have a family history too. Hope this helps.

Ann
      44 year old female
      Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
      Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
      Posterior Only, 9 hours
      Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
      Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

no MRI????????....

When I had several very thorough MRI's 2 weeks before my surgeries, the nurse told me that they would be the "roadmap" the doctor would using to perform the surgeries. i was really, really careful to be still, as all of us with scoliosis know how bad it can hurt to lay flat on out backs for hours. Not only did i did not want to have to repeat them, i knew how valuable they would be in my success. Sorry to be skeptical, but i would think you certainly need an MRI. Good Luck and hope you can continue at least part-time in college, it is good for your mind to stay busy, but you do have to let your body have intensive rest those first few weeks... Lisa
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Hello

I'm also in college and I will be having surgery next May. My doctor told me I can't go back to classes for 3 months. My plan is to have the surgery shortly after finals so I'll be ready to go back by the end of August. I'd like to take a semester off, but my classes are only offered certain semesters so taking one semester off would mean taking a year off. I'm 25 and I have a 47 degree curve. I feel like surgery is my only option at this point because I'm progressing at about 3 degrees per year which my doctor said will increase soon. What are you majoring in?

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck!
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Hi! I'm a grad student and going back to school at the end of August. I had surgery on June 5th and at the moment am feeling a little nervous about going back, but I know I'm making progress each week. Most people say you can go back to school/work after 3 months, but it is different for every person. I would consider getting a rolling bag for your books. I have been using one for years so I don't carry them. Most of my friends, profs, and colleagues are aware of my situation and willing to help in many ways. I find that actually telling them how they can help can alleviate a lot of worry and make them feel good too.

Best of luck!
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Everyone and Keep them coming

Hey Everyone! Thanks for your replies...plz keep them coming!

To briarrose: I'm a sophomore in industrial engineering

Thanks for the helpful posts about the MRI, i'll be sure to ask my doctor for details on why he chose not to have a MRI done.

Also, I know this will vary.. but what's an estimated cost of surgery?
              glenda

54T

10T and Loving it!!

Comment

estimated costs...

Glenda- I can tell you that the hospital bills on my 2 surgeries have hit almost $400,000, rehab was over $32,000 and there will be the doctors, anesthesiologists, tests, etc... I bet it makes $500,000... BUT i am sure the hospital and insurance company negotiate a lower amount, makes me nervous, nonetheless...Good Luck with school to all of you that are trying to keep it all together ! Lisa
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees

Comment

Glenda,
                  I too am 19 years old and in college. I had surgery during winter break last year (Dec-Feb for my school) and was ready to return to class PART-TIME in Feb. I took a class online, and one on campus to keep my units up, but still not have to spend too much time sitting in class, in really bad chairs, etc. Also, you might want to see if your school has any disabled student services for after your surgery. They might be able to provide a better chair for you to sit in (and a table) rather than a hard chair attached to a desk, a tape recorder for lectures in case you need to get up and walk around, testing in an alt. location so if you need to stand you dont disturb the class, etc. It will probably require a note from your doctor saying what your "disability" is and if it is temporary or permanent, but hopefully your school has something like this to use immediately following your return.
                  An online class is a great idea to keep you from going to campus, but still requires A LOT of time hitting the books (maybe more since there is not a lecture, you have to do all that prep yourself). If you do decide to take an online class, make sure you contact the teacher and let them know you just had surgery, this way if you have problems one day and can't make it to the computer when an assignment is due, they might be able to extend it for you, etc.
                  Hope this helps a bit. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
                  Mandy

Comment

Hi...I started a new semester at college 5 days after my surgery. I had already been signed up for that semester and didn't expect my surgeon to schedule my surgery 3 weeks after seeing him. My classes were online, but it was still real difficult. I was readmitted 2 weeks after my surgery due to a large area of fluid. My school was really patient with me and worked with me. I almost decided to quit that semester, but I hung on and made it!!!! Now I have my A.A.S. in health care and graduated in June!!!

Amber

Comment

High Five, Amber !!

I honestly do not know how you did it ! but I sure am proud of you ! I noticed I can't focus as well since my surgeries and I have been worried about taking on a class of two, and here you are graduating !!! way to go!!! Lisa
                      Lisa age 47
                      T curve 69 degrees

Comment

Good job Amber!

I applaud you Amber for being so determined! I've decided to sit out the Spring 08' semester. After seeing my youngest sister's recovery, I'm almost 100% positive that I couldn't handle on campus classes. I thought about taking some online classes, but my school's not offering any classes that I need....o well.. Guess i'll just make them up in Summer School!
                        glenda

54T

10T and Loving it!!

Comment

Working...
                        X