BIG Question to Adolescent Girls With Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG Question to Adolescent Girls With Scoliosis

I am 15 years old and I was diagnosed with scoliosis about 3 years ago. After one year, my curve had gotten to be around 50 degrees, so I got surgery in June 2005. If I had to make the decision again, I would not do anything differently.

I recently moved to Europe and am now going to an international school. I'm working on a very important research project, which we have 6 months to complete, and I have designed my project to be centered on scoliosis. I thought that this website would be a great source and would love some replies!

My research question is: How does scoliosis affect adolescent girls that are diagnosed with it, both physically and emotionally?

So my question to you is: How has scoliosis affected your life physically and emotionally since you have become diagnosed?
    It doesn't matter if you are pre-surgery, post surgery, or even if you have just been diagnosed a little while ago!

If you could reply sharing your thoughts and experiences it would be great!

Thanks,
    Defne
    I'm 15, and I had surgery June 2, 2005. I do not regret any of it.

hello! :] i`ll help you.

emotionally;; well, i have a brace. and it does make me upset a lot. if im wearing it in school, i realize that im the only one and i dont have anyone to relate too because im the only one in my school that wears a brace. it usually makes me feel left out. also, in the summer i cant go outside like everyone else until i take my brace off. =\ it just makes me feel sometimes like theres no point in living anymore. but i realized one day i wont have to wear my brace. :]

physically;; first of all, i noticed that my brace makes me skinnier. also, since i had it, i became more self-concious about sitting // standing up straight because i at first didnt want anyone to know about what im going through. i think since i was diagonised, i became less active because my brace pretty much took over my life.

i think thats pretty much it. if you need anything else, just let me know. :]
    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

I guess I can help you as well.

I got diagnosed during the march break.

I am still currently waiting for a doctor, and to get mre tests done because doctors do not know why I am in such pain.

Scoliosis has affected me a great deal. Because no amount of over the counter pain medication can stop the pain. I dance ballet, and find it hard sometimes, and certain moves I am forbidden to do.
      I bowl in a league, and I have recently quit because it caused me much pain.
      I also play the French Horn. Sometimes, I find it difficult to play well because holding my breath for a while causes pain.

I have also really slowed down since January, when the pain started. I sleep 4-5 hours at best, and I feel drained by middle day.

It has also put strain on my relationship with my boyfriend. Because we talk at night, when the pain is at it's peak (and in the morning it is also at it's peak) I get frustrated easily, so we tend to fight more. He understands, but it can be hard.

Hopefully, we figure everything out, and I can get my life back.
      My name is Justine
      I am 17 years old
      I live in Canada
      March 2007 - 13 degree curvature
      June 2007 - 28.5 degree curvature
      January 2008 - 27 degree curvature
      CHEO June 26th

Comment

Originally posted by daffyduk911
        I am 15 years old and I was diagnosed with scoliosis about 3 years ago. After one year, my curve had gotten to be around 50 degrees, so I got surgery in June 2005. If I had to make the decision again, I would not do anything differently.

I recently moved to Europe and am now going to an international school. I'm working on a very important research project, which we have 6 months to complete, and I have designed my project to be centered on scoliosis. I thought that this website would be a great source and would love some replies!

My research question is: How does scoliosis affect adolescent girls that are diagnosed with it, both physically and emotionally?

So my question to you is: How has scoliosis affected your life physically and emotionally since you have become diagnosed?
        It doesn't matter if you are pre-surgery, post surgery, or even if you have just been diagnosed a little while ago!

If you could reply sharing your thoughts and experiences it would be great!

Thanks,
        Defne

As long as you are in Europe, please check the Katharina Schroth Klinic in BadSoberheim , Germany specialized in Scoliosis and go to -www:Sosort.org.

Comment

ill help you out too!

physically- after i had surgery last summer i wasnt allowed to play soccer or basketball (fall and winter seasons) the first sport i was able to play was track in the spring. my life has always been taken over by sports, so after surgery i had absolutely NOTHING to do.. i also agree with "ballerina" when i was in middle school and had a boston brace, it was really hard to play in band with such short room for air

emotionally- i dont know if this happened to anyone else, but after surgery i seemed to have "lost" a majority of my friends. i missed the first 2 weeks of school sophomore year and only my best friends had ever come to visit me or called or anything during this time. i got back to school and it was like i hadnt even been gone, but i was still ignored and i questioned myself about why nothing was the same if everyone was acting like i hadnt been gone. once i got back in to sports everything fell back into place, but today i still have my doubts because it still doesnt feel the same

good luck! <3melissa
          Melissa
          16 years old.. junior in high school
          diagnosed at 10 with s-curve; large family history with scoliosis
          Boston brace when upper hit 32*
          braced from 2003-2005 (ages 12-14.. 6-8 grade)
          progressed to 54* (upper) and 42* (lower)
          posterior fusion august 10, 2006 at age 15 (10th grade) at Georgetown University Hospital by Dr. Lauerman
          upper curve down to 25*, lower to 14*
          i play soccer basketball and track... and i can still high jump

Comment

I can help as well!!

Physically-- I had scoliosis for a few years but it actually didn't start hurting me until I found out I was going to need surgery. Then it started to hurt while I was running cross-country (I'm guessing it could have been psychological?) but then I was lucky because it was perfect timing...I had the surgery 3 weeks later (I was 14). My life revolved around softball and basketball. I wasn't able to play either sport that year during my freshman year of high school which I was really upset about. But then 7 months later I went to nationals for softball where I pitched, played outfield, and had the best hitting percentage on my team! Now I can do everything except play tackle football and gymnastics, and am playing club basketball and softball in college, as well as skiing, playing tennis, hiking, you name it.

Emotionally-- When my scoliosis became visible because of my poor posture and raised shoulder, I was very embarrassed (I was in junior high and then just starting high school). I didn't wear my brace enough to school because I was extremely embarrassed because I was the only one I knew of who had this severe of a back problem. I didn't even want any of my classmates to know I had to get surgery besides my close friends. But after my surgery, and now...I am SO proud of it. So proud of everything I went through. It was a major event in my life that made me so much stronger. And now I like to talk about it and even show it off because I am proud of what I endured. I am working at a hospital for the summer and doctors LOVE to hear about it. They are all so interested in it, and now I have a great success story to tell! And it makes us special from the rest So be proud of it!! A lot of people will respect you so much when they hear what you went through and all you are still able to do and accomplish with nice, long metal rods in your back!
            Hey, my name is Meg
            Had idiopathic scoliosis when I was younger--it worsened to 64 degree curve
            Had spinal fusion in 2001 when I was 14
            Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!
            http://www.scoliosis.org/store/scoliband.php

Comment

Physically: You can't sit long periods of time without your brace starting to bug you. Every so often your back will hurt.

Emotionally: When I first found out ater the doctor left I starte crying. It hurts to know that you have a curve and you might need surgery.
              My Scoliosis
              My curves are 15 and 21.
              I wear a Boston Brace
              Don't think I am getting surgery
              http://scoliosisadmin.proboards79.com/index.cgi

Comment

ya, i know.. thats what happened to me 2.. no one can guarantee us that our back will be fixed by the brace and no one can guarantee us that well need surgery.. HOPEFULLY WE WONT NEED SURGERY!!
                My name is Rotem
                I am 13 and in 7th grade
                Started with 2 curves:
                34º Therotical
                50º Lumber
                I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
                Got my 1st on Nov. '06
                Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
                Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
                and im still trying to get used to it
                Hoping I won't need surgery
                I live in South Florida
                3rd check on November 17,2007,
                Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
                30º Theoratical
                37º Lumber
                4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Thanks to all of you guys for replying! It's a really big help to my project and beyond that, its great hearing from other people who have scoliosis as well because it's good to know I'm not alone!
                  Thanks again,
                  Defne
                  I'm 15, and I had surgery June 2, 2005. I do not regret any of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X