Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

I am new to this website. I didn't even know there was anything like this out there. The way everyone treats my condition as "no big deal" even though my doctor wants me to have spinal fusion with in the next year. My question is that I read that scoliosis does not cause sciatic pain that radiates down your leg. Is this true? If so should I go to a neurologist instead? The pain can be quite severe and I can never get a straight answer from the doctors I've seen. Please help if anyone knows. Also what should I expect before and after the surgery? I have to have multiple tests and go through physical therapy even cardiovascular excersises because my doctor won't operate until I'm "in shape". I'm scared even to do that because vaccumming even causes pain. I'm just really scared about the whole thing. Please help!
    morgan

First of all, get the book, Scoliosis Surgery, The Definitive Patient's Reference by David K. Wolpert. This book will answer alot of questions for you. Check to see if you are anemic. If so, start start taking iron. You do need to get in shape before surgery. Before my surgery 10 weeks ago, I was walking 4 miles a day. I can now walk 1/2 mile. You might want to try water aerobics as a form of exercise. The recovery time will depend on your age. I am 54 years old and this surgery is no walk in the park. However, I can see improvement from week-to-week and know that this was the right decision for me.

Comment

I'm not sure where you read it, but patients with lumbar curves often have leg pain. If you have significant leg pain, that's plenty of reason to consider surgery.

Good luck.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Cheryllee-Thank you for the information. I will definitely go check that book out. I want to be prepared and know what to expect. Good luck with your recovery.~Morgan
        morgan

Comment

Working...
        X