Pain after 3 yrs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain after 3 yrs??

is this normal? im sixteen still, and i have constant pain. its not like its a very severe/sharp pain, its more so of an ache thats in my low back maybe 50% of the time, and when i bend or stretch i feel a discomfort kind of like a strain. when i run and play sports it gets a little worse, but afterwards it hurts so much. also, my left shoulder spasms i know that there is nothing "wrong" but i feel as if its not right to be feeling all this pain. ive tried pt, and it hasn't helped. he said something about how i need myo-fascial realease 24 hours per day but i dont know what that means. and also i still have really tight hamstrings.

my surgeon said like all is normal, and time is all it takes.

How low was your fusion? It sounds like you may have ssome issues with a disc below your fusion....But please get advise from your doctor.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

its from t3-l4.

Comment

You may be having some trouble with your L4-L5 or L5-S1 disc. I would talk to your Surgeon / Orthopedic doctor when you can.

Ann
        44 year old female
        Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
        Posterior Only, 9 hours
        Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation

Comment

thanks for your responses. the disc thing-aren''t I a little young to have disc problems? I honestly don't know I just have always thought of that as something you have issues with when your older--not when your 16!
          You said her fusion never took. I kind of feel like since I play sports(yes, in some pain) that would be almost impossible, wouldn't it? i would be in sooooooo much pain.

Comment

Hi Patty,

You said your niece had to have her fusion extended because of Kyphosis. Was the Kyphosis always there or was it newly diagnosed after her surgery? I'm guessing the Kyphosis was above the fusion. How far up did they fuse her?

Sorry about all the questions. My daugher is 2 1/2 years post-op and she had surgery to correct both her Scoliosis and Kyphosis. After the surgery, she developed Kyphosis above her fusion. At her last check-up, he started discussing extending her fusion and we just weren't ready for that. She goes back July 27th and I'm really dreading the appointment.

Thanks,
            Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

You're never too young or too old for complications of surgery or for disc problems. I believe, and this is just me, that you really need to discuss the pain and possibility of disc issues or non-fusion (pseudoarthrosis - false joint) with your surgeon. Complications can happen any time, and if you ignore the pain just due to your age, it can get worse. Just my suggestions.

Ann
              44 year old female
              Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
              Posterior Only, 9 hours

Comment

Just curious...

What is myo-fascial release? I can't imagine why a 16 year old would have such problems ! Is it a form of physical therapy? Sorry your recovery is so painful, keep looking for answers........... Lisa
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees
                L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

I would go to your orthopedic surgeon and talk about the pain that you have been having. Like the others have said it is possible to have issues with the discs below your fusion. I am only 19 and have already had surgery to correct a herniated disc below my fusion, and just found out that I have pseudoarthrosis at the new fusion site. You are never too young to have problems, even if you play sports. Some people have a higher pain tolerance than others, so what might be tolerable for you might be debilitating for someone else.
                  Get it checked out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CurvySAT05
                    I would go to your orthopedic surgeon and talk about the pain that you have been having. Like the others have said it is possible to have issues with the discs below your fusion. I am only 19 and have already had surgery to correct a herniated disc below my fusion, and just found out that I have pseudoarthrosis at the new fusion site. You are never too young to have problems, even if you play sports. Some people have a higher pain tolerance than others, so what might be tolerable for you might be debilitating for someone else.
                    Get it checked out!!!
                    Hi : please go to -www: Sosort.org
                    scoliosistreatment-schroth.com.
                    Stay well.

Comment

thank you.i have no idea what myo-fascial release is. i was wondering that myself...my surgeon told me to go to therapy formy pain and flexibility issues, and obviously it didn't work. my dr did say like everything is normal which i can see, but im kind of not happy with it ?

Comment

Here is a link that explains myofasical release. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_Release
                        Myo= Muscle
                        Fascia= Connective Tissue

Comment

Thanks Patty. I'm glad your niece is doing so well.

Mary Lou
                          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

My daughter is 3 years post-op also. She is fused t7-l3. She tends to ache when she over does it. (She is a dancer.) The ache is from the bones, probably where the metal touches it. My daughter can now predict the weather - rain or high humidity - by her aches. It also takes the muscles time to heal and get back into shape. If one side of your back tends to hurt more than the other, it is probably the muscles. She is learning to tell her muscle ashes from her bones aching.
                            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
                            X