PDA

View Full Version : Death after surgery

dixie
06-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi there my daughter had scoliosis surgery in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada on December 2, 2005, the next day it was discovered that she had liver damage, to approx 60% of liver, throught compression not a blood clot. 2 weeks from the day of surgery our beautiful daughter had passed away. When going for surgery this was the last thing on our minds, this has prompted me to file a complaint with the college of physicians and surgeons in Halifax, Nova Scotia, to try and get some answers about what happened to Sarah, her liver didn't damage itself, just wanted to put this out there.
forever in out hearts
thanks from Bridget

cherylplinder
06-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Dixie,
I am so sorry for your loss! What a terrible tragedy! Thank you for posting. There was a recent thread in which someone was considering surgery for cosmetic reasons, I think. Words can't express the sadness I feel for you.
I don't know what to say.
Hugs,
Cheryl

Ballerina
06-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Oh my goodness, that is horrible. I am so sorry for your loss. When I read the title of this, I thought oh my gosh, was it anesthetic or something, but when I read liver damage, that was something I was not expecting.

I would definitely get on their back and make sure they get to the bottom of the line with this. Your daughter didn't cause herself to have liver damage.

Karen Ocker
07-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Years ago Halothane was the anesthetic often used for scoliosis surgery; in rare cases it caused liver damage (Halothane hepatitis). This happened with all sorts of surgeries not just scoliosis. It is still used in some countries. I personally(I am an anesthetist) have not seen it used in over 10 years.

RugbyLaura
07-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Dixie,

I'm so sorry.... I cried and cried when I read your post. How completely awful for you. I hope you get the answers you need and that you are able to make some sense of this dreadful, shocking loss.

Laura X

dixie
07-03-2007, 04:48 AM
Hey, just to let you know that the college is meeting for the 2nd time, so far they have not dismissed Sarah'sase, keeping my fingers crossed,
will let you know what happens.
dixie :eek:

lindabar
07-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Bridget,
I'm sorry to read about the loss of your daughter. Did they do an autopsy? What did they say was the cause of death? Keep pushing for answers, you have a right to know what happened.

dixie
07-04-2007, 04:32 AM
Hi there, yes they did a autopsy in Ontario, and the medical cause of death is fulmimant hepatic failure, and I will keep pushing as long as I can.
Thanks
Dixie

dixie
09-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi there, its me Dixie, just wanted to do a update with what is happening with the college of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia.

They are meeting for the 3rd time on September 18, 2007, hopefully I will know something shortly, I have asked that I be able to meet with them, I havent' heard anything back from that as of yet.

Will keep you posted.
I do all of this for you Sarah.
Bridget

~ScoliosisGurl~
09-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Dixie,

I am so sorry to hear that. That's horrible. I know how you feel to lose someone. How old was she? :(

dixie
09-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Sarah had just turned 12 in the hospital.
Thanks from bridget

jillw
09-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Dixie, I am so sorry to read about your loss. I can only imagine the pain you are feeling. I hope you are able to get some good answers in this inquiry.