titanium vs. stainless steel rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• titanium vs. stainless steel rods?

I spoke with my son's surgeon last week. I just wanted to make sure I asked every possible question since he isn't the easiest to get hold of. I thought I was double checking with regard to this question because I was thinking he'd already said he'd use titanium. When the doctor said he'd probably use stainless steel I was surprised. I can't remember the reasons he gave for the choice. I did ask him if I researched it & decided we prefer titanium rods, if he'd go with our choice. He said "yes".

So, I know there's info about this on this forum but a lot of it is several years old. I'd really appreciate it if any of you could tell me what kind of rods your surgeon did, or will, use for your or your child's surgery & why. Are you pleased with the choice & why? It sounds to me like stainless weighs more & is more likely to cause problems with MRIs. But titanium is more flexible & could break more easily? I think I've read that more & more surgeons are using titanium these days, despite its higher cost so I just wanted to hear about some patient's, or parent's opinions. Thank you all very much!
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Hi Laurie
    Patrick had stainless steel and I am happy with the choice. I too questioned this choice and I beleive that strength was up there for reasons. That was good enough for me. I asked about MRI's thinking he could never have one but in fact he still can have an MRI but there will be more 'noise' near the rods so I guess it will be hard to see anything near the rods. Patrick is fresh out of surgery, and doing very well, so I have no long term advise to pass on. It's not an easy decision if given the choice.
    Ramona
    mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
    diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
    also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
    fused T4 to L1

Comment

Hi,

From what I understand, stainless is stronger and is less expensive. Titanium is lighter, not as strong as stainless and is more expensive. I had also read that titanium may exhibit "metal memory", where if the rod is contoured at room temperature, there is a slight possibility the rod may gradually revert to its original shape, which may cause problems for patient. Joe's surgeon used titanium on him because I mentioned that Joe had shown a sensitivity to metal (he used to always get a rash from metal buttons on pants or shirts). I don't know if he would have used stainless otherwise, but I would be satisfied with either.

Renee

Comment

Thanks for responding Ramona & Renee! It seems like your kids are both fine with the different rod choices. At our pre-op appt this Thurs. I will discuss it further with the surgeon & find out his reasons for choosing the stainless steel. I just don't want the main reason to be the lesser cost. Alexander is still relatively small & steel is heavier so I don't want him weighed down any more than necessary by the rods...

I'm trying to stay calm & to visualize a positive outcome these last couple of weeks before the surgery.
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

The weeks before surgery are so hard...so many thoughts go through your mind. Staying positive is a good thing for you and Alexander. Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery, keep us posted...

Renee

Comment

titanium

it's great it's lightweight i have titanium bars in my neck they dont bother me i only know they are there because i had surgery,for a child i think i might be better.

Comment

Choose titanium

I realize this hasn't been an active thread lately but I couldn't resist a reply. Of course, many people think that stainless steel is the way to go because of it's strength. True, it is strong, but steel is also much stiffer than titanium, hence more likely to break under stress. Titanium offers the best blend of strength and flexibility.

Comment

Working...
              X