T6 to Sacrum-Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T6 to Sacrum-Anyone?

I am having T6 to sacrum and am worried about mobility after I have recovered from the surgery. If anyone has had the fusion down this far I would love to hear if you are able to bend forward and if so how far?
    I guess I picture myself walking like Frankenstien afterwards and just need some reassurance. Surgery was cancelled and will now probably not be until Sept.
    I am also collecting my own blood and if there are any tips or suggestions to make that go smoothly I would like to know.

Thanks
    CarolS
    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
    Osteotomy March 20,2008
    Thrilled with results!

walking like Frankenstien

I sent you a private message.

I live a perfectly normal, pain free life. I just got back from a trip hiking in the Alps and Black forest--and my fusion is longer than yours will be.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I'm with Karen. My surgery was in Dec so I am still recovering. I also fell and broke my hip. Thru all this tho I am doing great. I am becoming more flexible all the time, I walk without pain, I climb stairs and do almost all my own housework--exceptions being mopping, bathroom etc. It takes time but you will get there. I was 63 when I had my surgery. For you that are younger, think how much faster and stronger you will heal. Don't get discouraged--life will get back to normal. I am fused from T9 to sacrum.
      Linda G.

Comment

Hi,
        I was fused from T4-S1. It took awhile, but I do gardening/clean house/even manage to get my foot up to tie my shoes LOL.
        Sandy
        SandyC

Comment

hie ,i am 6 month post op from t7(t4 was announced ) to sacrum ,and i am not frankenstein we had a little meeting in Paris and 3 person fused to sacrum this year ,2 other have gone back to work normally after 7 month .we met before our op and after ,and we are realy much better know less pain and much happier..i have a yong child of 4 years old and no problem playing and ....etc with a family off 5 ..i am 41.
          we are not suppose to bend over ,but naturally we just bend our knees to pick things up ;ti tie my lacies up i do what i did when i had mlk brace a long time ago...just bring my foot up against a hie step for exemple.

Comment

Thankyou so much to everyone, especially to you Karen for the private message. I am much more calm and optomistic about the whole thing now that I have read these replies of similar fusions.
            I will let you all know when I get another date (got cancelled twice now) but it should be in late Aug or Sept.
            Hopefully I will be able to give encouragement to others when I am done.
            Thanks!!
            CarolS
            68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
            Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
            Osteotomy March 20,2008
            Thrilled with results!

Comment

I am fused to my sacrum although I wasn't fused as high as you. I'm lumbar only. I will tell you that I don't really feel as limited as I thought I would. I just feel a little tight in that area. I don't bend at the waist or twist around to see something or someone behind me. You just learn to adapt. Right after surgery, I was focused on the things I couldn't do. But, as time passes and your physical state improves, you think more about the things you can do.

Brandi
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Holy $#!@ Karen! The Alps and Black Forest? Good for you! You are an inspiration!
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

My wife Jan is fuzed S-1 to T-11. As of this week whe can tie both shoes! Thats 9 months post op.

Comment

I'm T-3 to S-1, I can do pretty much everything except my left leg doesn't want to go so easy to put on shoes and stuff.
                    I kinda knew this would happen though, the left leg is the one I had a lot of trouble with previous to surgery. Lots of nerve damage on that side and stuff.
                    I can get my shoe on and tie it, it just takes awhile.
                    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                    Curve post op = 20 degrees
                    No pain anymore!!
                    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I am so glad to hear all of you fused to the sacrum, how much you've gradually been able to do! I am fused from T5 to sacrum and 3 months post op and now can reach a little past my knees when laying down. Rubbing moisturizer on my lower legs or cutting my toenails is still not in my vocabulary, but I can see I am getting further. Of course, until your fusion is completed, you don't want to try too hard. Lucky I live in Hawaii and wear flip flops daily, and walk in slip-on type walking shoes, so that helps! I look forward to reaching my feet someday!
                      Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Working...
                      X