Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping

I have lost 15 pounds because of the surgery and now my butt is flat and bony. Because of this I have a red mark on my lower back closer to my bottom. While having a test done the doctor said that the mark can turn into a bed/pressure sore. (I usually sleep about 8 - 10 hours, not that much time in bed - I don't think) He said because I am so thin my bones are poking me, and I should change sleeping positions during the night . I tried to sleep on my sides but it hurts my hips and when I wake up they still hurt. I sleep on a couple of blankets for cushion, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sue

I have hip pain at night too. I sleep with a pillow between my legs to lessen the pain. It really does help.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

We bought a memory foam mattress topper from costco and it is the BEST! I still cant sleep in my own bed, but by putting this on our couch, its perfect. (our couch is extra wide and long). I've also lost about 15 lbs and I am flat on my back for at least 20+ hours a day @ 5 weeks post op.
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

I also sleep with a body pillow on my side, between my legs and I find it makes a huge difference. Otherwise, I wake up so sore. If you don't have a body pillow, try a regular pillow. Feel better, LYNN
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Thanks - I'll try the pillows.

Sue

Comment

Hi Suzy,

How long ago did you have your surgery? I ask because I'm experiencing the same thing and wake up every hour or two at night to shift positions. I do use pillows, but am still in pain. I wrote about this on another thread and then saw this one, so I apologize that I have brought this up twice.

Good luck to you,
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Anya

Besides pillows - I am going to try and get a memory foam mattress topper. Someone also suggested the mattress topper that is bumpy - like inside of an of an egg carton helped them. I will probably get whatever is cheaper.

Sue

Comment

Anya

Sorry, I didn't tell you my surgery date, I am 4 1/2 months post op, my surgery was on 2/07/2007 - (a date I'll never forget for as long as I live). I am 44 years old.

Sue

Comment

I find I am changing position 9 plus times a night (side/back/side). I had a lot of discomfort in the beginning and found the bed body pillow to be most comfortable; but rather warm (hot) during the summer months. I also found that the egg crate memory foam was very helpful.

Good Luck!

Kari

Comment

I find sleeping on my stomache helps, it kind of hurts at first but after a while its really good.

Comment

Working...
                    X