Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Tuesday/Wednesday

Hi Everyone

I am more of a reader than a poster, but I wanted you to know that Tuesday and Wednesday are my big days. I will be having A/P and will be fused from T5 - L4.

I am starting to panic and I am very scared. I am procrastinating and didn't even pack a suitcase. Maybe I just don't know what to pack for such an extensive surgery? The NP told me that I won't need anything. How true can this be? What should I pack?

During the week my husband and i went to purchase a toilet and shower seat for when I get home. Any suggestions on anything else that I should have for when I get home?

Maria

Hi Maria,

Best of luck to you. I am almost three weeks post-op now and know exactly what you are feeling. As far as packing for the hospital, I really did not need most of what I packed. However, my ipod was a God-send. If you have anything to listen to music on, you may want to bring that. I brought a robe, but never ended up using it. I wore the same outfit home that I wore to the hospital. I currently rotate between three outfits with button-up or zip-up shirts and loose fitting pants or shorts. The hospital provided me with a toothbrush, but I brought one anyway.

The toilet and shower seats are also absolutely necessary for me, so I'm glad you have them. Make sure you have lots of pillows at home to support yourself. It will take some time to readjust to home life and find comfortable positions, but I promise, it does get better. There is no lying that it is a painful process, but I see progress everyday. Just keep reminding yourself why you did this surgery and that it does get better! I did not remember much of the first couple of days, which is a good thing.

Deep breaths. You can do it. We are all incredibly strong women and men who go through this.

Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Maria,
      It's true you won't need much at the hospital, but what I did find indispensible was a tube of chapstick. Because you won't be able to eat or drink for a few days/week you get a bit dehydraded, even with the IV's. If you have long hair, braid it before surgery or short you may want some kind of brush. You will be laying in bed alot and the back of your hair has a tendance to get matted.

After you get home, and can shower you may want to shave your legs. I taped a disposable razor to a long handled wooded spoon (the handle end). You won't be able to bend well and this is a great way to reach. Besides it will make you feel better. I learned this trick on this board Good luck and I know all will go well for you
      Sandy
      SandyC

Comment

make sure you have a grabber and baby wipes

while I was in rehab, I bought a "hip kit", which i assume was packaged for a hip replacement patient, that had a grabber, sock aid, long extended shoehorn, and a stich with a cuphook thing on it. i used the grabber in the rehab a lot and cannot live without it at home. it is like my security blanket. baby wipes help with the laxative days and you can wipe up and feel clean in between baths. good luck and speedy recovery....... lisa
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Good luck...

RiRi - good luck tomorrow. Are you having your surgery done in Manhattan? I'm sending good thoughts. Have someone post how you are doing. All the best, LYNN
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Hi RiRi,

Hope all went well, the few things I packed I didn't use.

I got the shower chair and the potty chair, a grabber but what I was most grateful for was the hand held shower nozzle.

Best wishes and hope all went well for you!!!

Shari

Comment

So am I to take it that most insurance doesn't pay for things like raised toilet seats or shower seats? No problem I'll pick them up before hand. I just don't want to be buying a lot of stuff that insurance will most likely pay for. I have heard that the hospital does provide grabbers( my younger son bought me one for Christmas, its already been such a blessing!), springy shoe laces and junk.
              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
              surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
              Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
              5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
              6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
              (left open with just clear dressing)
              6/6/08 recleaned and closed
              3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

oops, here I go again, I'm going to buy Flicker razors, then my husband can shave my legs and we don't have to worry about blood loss
                2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

OMG I haven't thought about Flicker razors in many, many years! But that is definately something I'll have to keep in mind. I've seen my husband's face in the mornings when he's in a hurry!
                  Becky, 46 years old
                  Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                  Ignored until 448/07
                  Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                  Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                  Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                  Fused T-10 to L-5
                  14 titanium pedicle screws
                  Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                  Email

Comment

oops, here I go again, I'm going to buy Flicker razors, then my husband can shave my legs and we don't have to worry about blood loss
                    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

Some insurance will cover a raised toilet seat, shower chair, grabber, and other durable medical equipment that you will need at home after surgery. You might call the insurance company and see what their policy is on those types of DME and if you will have a co-pay. They might also require that it be ordered from a certain list of companies. My insurance paid for my walker, raised toilet seat, grabber, cold therapy unit and other stuff that was ordered post-op.

Comment

Hi Maria,

Good luck this week! I, too, packed many things I did not use. Soft, comfy clothes are a must for discharge and pillows for the car. I found my iPod to be valuable as well as a cell phone and list of numbers. The wipes are a great idea for a tender bottom. I shopped for stretchy underwear to help with getting it on and off. "Barely There" makes some really nice underpants that are stretchy and not too "grandmotherly". I did not wear a bra until almost three months post-op. Try not to stress out on what to pack. Someone can always bring you a needed item when you are awake enough to know what you are missing.

I went to Rehab after each of my surgeries. The PT department ordered the walker, cane, shower chair, commode, grabbers, sock helper, long shoe horn, etc. for me. However, they did not order it from an "approved" provider so I ended up paying for them out of pocket. It's a good idea to check with your insurance company before ordering any equipment and to let PT know if they will do the ordering for you. I have three grabbers in various locations in my house and continue to use them daily. This surgery and the subsequent recovery are not a walk in the park, but I have absolutely no regrets on making the decision.

Take care. Visualize and focus on your new and improved back and the surgery being behind you!

Linda W.
                        Linda
                        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
                        X