Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone experienced this type of trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone experienced this type of trouble?

We are now at 3 wks post op and after the surgery my son had bloating and an indigested feeling throughout the recovery process and it was more painful than back pain so he was willing to go without the pain med. in order to determine which one of the meds. was causing the trouble.

Finally the doctor took him off from Ibuprofen after 12 days (he was on right from the beginning) and he seemed to be doing a little better as far as the indigested feeling was concerned but to this day when he eats anything he runs to the bathroom and he doesn't seem to have any appetite. I tried OTC gas meds like immodium but it doesn't help.

Has anyone had a similar problem? In the hospital the nurse made sure his stomach was awake before he had a liquid diet.
    For some reason his pain med always ran out at the same time and as I remember he was taking 3 different pain meds at the same time always on an empty stomach. Could this have caused the stomach trouble he is having now?
    He also seems to have developed lactose intolerance after the surgery.
    I am curious if anyone had this kind of trouble and about how to cure it.
    Erin

15 yo Son, James, T4-L4 surgery on 5/31/2007
    from T50s & L57 to T19 & L18

Surgery causes a post operative ileus. That is a paralysis of the intestines. The large colon is the last part of the digestive system to wake up from the invasive procedure.
    My mother had surgery May 29th (a hysterectomy, not the same surgery, but with similar effects on the digestive system) and is still having some digestive problems. She has had everything from N/V to diarrhea to just stomach upset. She continues to complain of stomache aches. We go to the doctor for her followup on Thursday. I will post what her doc has to say.
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Hi Erin,

Immodium is an anti-diahrrea med. Not a good idea for someone who doesn't have good intestinal movements. Is he still taking stool softners or laxatives? If he's not having a bowel movement every day he needs help doing so. The stool should be the consistency of peanut butter or pudding. Anything else can be a result of constipation (stool coming around impacted stool). Milk/dairy can be constipating. I know he doesn't have a large variety of foods he will eat, but try to get him to eat a little all day, and more importantly, to drink water. Water can help move him too. The more physically active he is, the more his bowels will "wake up". I'm sure he's miserable. Good luck.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

As Cherylplinder has said & I agree, my stomach, digestion & all seemed to not be right until about 2 months or so after. But that was just me....& things did improve...Ly

Comment

Working...
        X