Question for after surgery for the females

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for after surgery for the females

Hi. I have a random question regarding if after surgery your measurement across your chest/bust area changes since the surgery straightens it? I am wondering as I am a bridesmaid in a wedding which will be 5 months after my surgery. I need to order the dress and do not know if I should order it as my size is now or should I order the smaller size? Obviously I can alter if it is too big, but in my experience the dress never looks quite as good after it is altered. I am very tiny so I have had many dresses altered and would like to avoid alterations if possible.

Thanks!

I lost about 2 inches off the bust area and dropped a bra size. This was in part due to straightening, and in part general weight loss which it seems to happen often after surgery. Just for info, I never wore shirts that buttoned up the front because they never hung straight. Now they do...
    48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

new

Originally posted by mouna
      I lost about 2 inches off the bust area and dropped a bra size. This was in part due to straightening, and in part general weight loss which it seems to happen often after surgery. Just for info, I never wore shirts that buttoned up the front because they never hung straight. Now they do...

how are you feeling since surgery i have a 85 degree curve i'm 52 cant wait

Comment

Because we tend to lose weight after surgery I would expect to have to make some alterations to the dress. Especially combined with the fact that your body will not be the same after surgery. Your hip and waist measurements could change as well.
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

It depends on where your curve is and what degree it is on changes. Mine was lumbar and 'c' shaped. I got three inches in my waist line (not around but length). It would be best to wait if you can until after your surgery.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Aint that the truth !

I am glad to know others noticed the body shape change since surgery- I am 20 days out since surgery and I am so surprised at the change of shape in my hip area and how my butt does not stick out as much, abdomen sicks out a little more, but i have an 8 inch incision there and some swelling. I am sure I lost a cup size too since I lost a big rib hump. i forgot that i bought, a few months ago, some button down tailored blouses to wear someday, as i did not wear them either, as i got tired of people pulling on me and trying to get it to "lay right". I was so self conscious. I think i will go and try them on today !!! and I agree with the others, you might want to wait to see how things shift around before getting fitted !! Love lisa
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Thank you all for responding to me. I will probably just go ahead and order the dress (as the bride has been sending reminders to order asap) and then have it altered after my surgery. Do your abs really stick out more after surgery? In my experience my abs have been the hardest to get completely flat and I was hoping with the extra length of the torso my abs would finally be flat. Do your hips and butt get smaller? I am sorry for all of the cosmetic questions. My surgeon has not gone into detail about the physical appearance after...all he said was it would look better and in the 6 weeks following surgery I would probably lose weight.

I believe I have a c curve with the biggest part being in my mid-back with 61 degrees. There is 36 degree curve in the upper part and a 30 degree curve in the lower back (my surgeon said the bottom curve is probably only there to compensate for the other two curves). I am very short (just under 5 feet) so I feel as though my curve has taken over the top half of my body.

Comment

I'm not sure but I think swelling in the ab area happens with anterior surgery? I had posterior surgery, and had no swelling. Weight loss and lengthening of torso gave me a flatter stomach.
                Note to CURVE52 - I couldn't wait either. A positive approach really helps...I went to the first day of the sales today - I ache but it was worth it!
                48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

Working...
                X