Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anya's back!

Hi all!

Just a quick note to say I'm back on the forum. I'm two weeks post-op tomorrow and although it was a rough surgery, I'm improving day by day. Today I walked the farthest distance I have yet (left the house) and had my first piece of chocolate (very important).

Thank you so much for all of your kind messages. My husband printed off all the emails and read them to me, and I can't tell you how much your support has meant through this whole process. The forum really prepared me for most of what I went through and I think I would have freaked out otherwise when things happened like losing feeling in my left thigh. (Hopefully that will come back eventually).

I'm still in a lot of pain and would love to share my experience with you bit by bit. I can't sit at the computer for too long at the moment, but I'll be back and hope to help others as they go through this process. I'm sure I will have more recovery questions as I go along.

Thank you again and best of luck to Nadia and Chris who are going through surgery this week. Keep your heads up.

Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Anya-glad to hear from you & you are doing well!
    My left inner thigh had no feeling for several months. As I built up strength, it got better...now at almost 11 mos, no problem! Lynne

Comment

Yeah....you did it! Congratulations and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Welcome back Anya!! Congratulations...the surgery is OVER and the healing begins. Best wishes for a quick and easy recovery!!

Ann
        44 year old female
        Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
        Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
        Posterior Only, 9 hours
        Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
        Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Congratulations Anya,

Anyone that can get on here so soon after their surgery amazes me. I couldn't do it!!!

Keep up the good work and the great attitude!!!

Shari

Comment

i'm with Shari - it took me 2 months to get back online. Woo-hoo you're back!!! I'm so glad to hear you're improving - little by little, of course. Take it easy, don't push yourself and we'll be here when you're ready.

Brandi
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hey Anya...

Your back so glad your surgery went well. About the thigh thing my right thigh was numb for around two weeks i can now feel everything except for half my back and all of my right side of my stomach are numb and swollen which hurt the most.....

Keep us posted!!!!

Lee
              Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Anya,

Wow, it is great to hear from people so soon after their surgeries. I know it hasn't been a smooth ride so far, but it gives me hope that your sense of humor is intact despite that! Wishing you all the best in the coming months, and looking forward to hearing about your experiences....
                31 year old female
                55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Yay, it is great to be back in touch. Thanks for your good wishes. Tonight I get to take my first shower and I am so excited. Don't worry - I have a shower seat though. I took 2 (yes, count them) 2 walks outside today which meant I had to conquer my stairs up and down to the condo again. It is actually so much easier now than it was just a few days ago when I came home.

The pain is still quite intense, but it is becoming more managable everyday. The stomach issues have all but gone - knock on wood! I highly recommend both senekot-s and colace.

Besides the back pain, one of my main issues is hip pain from lying on my sides for so long. Perhaps this is normal. Also, how long did you have to wear the compressor stockings on your legs to prevent blood clots? I'm supposed to wear them off and on during the day and all night until my 6 week check up. It seems like a lot, but I don't know.

Ok, that is enough sitting for now. I'll be back for more updates and advice/questions.

Best,
                  Anya
                  "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                  Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                  19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Anya
                    I glad to hear you're doing so well. I was not told to wear compression stockings. When I was in the hospital my legs & feet were swollen, but after being home for a week my legs and feet were so outrageously swollen. I was told to wear the stocking during the day and take them off at night until the swelling came down. I had hip pain , but I didn't lay on my side. I read some post that other people also had hip pain but it went away.

Sue

Comment

I wore the compression stockings for 3 weeks during the day, and took them off at night. Had hip pain too, and still have it occasionally, but less and less..
                      48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

I'm glad you are home and feeling better. I felt so much better when my belly issues improved. I've found that sleeping on my stomach is very comfortable. I couldn't do this pre op.
                        Best,
                        Jody
                        surgery 5-31-07
                        Dr. Wood, Mass General
                        Fused T10-L4
                        Had 55 degree curve now 6 degrees

Comment

Working...
                        X