Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaning sideways

Hi,

Has anyone found that, after their surgery, they still lean over to the side? I've noticed this on myself and it's a little discouraging to find that I do after going through the operation and everything. Does it get better at all? I'm five months post-surgery.

Robbie.

I can't see your x-ray

Robbie- I hope your leaning has gotten better since you posted, i FEEL like i am still leaning, but i ask my family if i am still straight, and they always say yes, but it sure feels like i overdid it and broke something at times. I tried to see your x-ray and it said it was not available on the server? would you consider reposting it- again, sure hope you have gotten better..... Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

i have not had surgery personally but a friend who has told me that she felt really crooked for quite a while after surgery too... i think maybe just getting used to the new center of balance can make it feel that way, and if you are actually leaning, hopefully its a muscle thing cause your muscles are used to the new shape and PT can help with that (if you've started it). Good luck!
      aBbiE
      22 yr old F,KU college student
      Kyphoscoliosis...
      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
      Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
      I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
      Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
      all smiles!

Comment

This thread made me smile. I can't even count the number of times I asked different family members and friends if I looked straight. I think I was so used to what I looked like before that I thought I was crooked afterwards.

I think what you're going though is normal. It's been 2 years for me and I still wonder sometimes if I look straight. But early on in my recovery, I held myself in a stiffened position because of the fact that my muscles were still healing. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but one day I woke up from a good nights sleep and my shoulders had dropped back into a normal position. I know it sounds strange but it happened.

It takes a while sometimes to used to our new bodies!!!

Shari

Comment

My daughter's physical therapest told her to look in a full length mirror and practice standing straight. Your muscles are used to leaning one way from your curve and you have to train your brain and muscles to stand straight now that you have had surgery.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I've always naturally stand up as straight as possible. If I relax and stand normally then it feels like the lung on my right is getting squished. It feels liked I'm always trying to correct my curve.

I don't think I lean too much, but I can't really tell. I know it feels like I tilt my head to.

I don't know I think I've been compensating for so long I don't know what I'm doing!!!!

Comment

leaning sideways

Amputees have phantom pain; we get "phantom crookedness".

I felt twisted for a long time.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Karen,

I think you summed it up in a way that even I understand!!! That was the most perfect way to explain it!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                X