Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery tomorrow!

Hi everyone,

Well the time has come and surgery is tomorrow and I'm so nervous! On the bright side I definitely am feeling better than I thought I would be at this point but I dunno how long that's going to go on for.
    I must say though that I haven't been on the forum for a while because for some time I just tried to not think about scoliosis and was scared to even come on. I'm quite embarassed to admit that because you all have provided me with tremendous support and I know that it's because of the forum and all of the great people on here that I've been doing as well as I have.

I had all my pre-op tests over the past few weeks and it was alot of going back and forth to the hospital. I even had a tour of the hospital and got to see the OR, where I almost had a panic attack (luckily I didn't). I also donated blood and I'd like to say that alot of the times I've seen stories of people who've had a bad experience with that, and I'd just like to share a postive experience. Other than the long time consuming paper work that needed to be filled out, my blood donating experience was quite uneventful. I think as long as you drink lots in the days before and eat a good meal before you go you'll be fine, and you'll get some yummy cookies when you're finished!

My surgeon called me on Friday night to tell me all of her plans for the surgery in more detail. She said that after looking at my x-rays my thoracic curve went from 48 to 52 and the lumbar curve from 40 to 43 degrees in a year. So that definitely helped me to feel like I am doing the right thing and erased any doubt I may have had. She also let me know that the planned levels of fusion are T4 - L3. I will be having posterior spinal fusion with titatium rod, and the bone graft will come from my ribs as there is a planned thoracoplasty as well. She had originally told me that the surgery would take 6 - 8 hours but she's booked the OR for 8 - 10 hours so that there'll be no need to rush.

My mom will be online to let you guys know how I'm doing and I will definitely come onto the forum as soon as I'm feeling up to it.

Thanks for all the support all of you have provided. Also, I wish all those having surgery soon all the best and will talk to you all soon.

Nervous Nadia

P.S. Just realized I forgot to ask for suggestions on what to take to the hospital, I know there have been threads with those things before so if I could get the link for some of the threads it would be great. Thanks
    Last edited by VincySweety; 06-17-2007, 10:20 AM.
    Nadia
    I'm 19
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 16
    Curves as of June 2006: 48T & 40L
    Curves as of June 2007: 52T & 43L
    Surgery date: June 18, 2007
    "A smile is a curve that can straighten out anything"

Hi Nadia,

Big day tomorrow! Anya and I (I'm her husband, posting for her since she's 13 days post-op) are hoping and praying for a very successful surgery and recovery for you. It will be tough of course, but you will be surprised at how dramatic the changes are even in the first week after.

Best,
    Chris

P.S. Anya says to bring some music to distract yourself while in the hospital - an iPod or CD player or something - it helped to relax her.
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Best of Luck!!!!!

Ann
      44 year old female
      Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
      Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
      Posterior Only, 9 hours
      Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
      Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Nadia,

Best wishes for a successful and easy recovery!

All the best,
        Brandi
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Good luck to you, hope all goes well with surgery and recovery!

Renee

Comment

God be with you today and guide your surgeon and his staff.
            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a fast recovery.

Sue

Comment

This is late...

let us know when you get back, best wishes and for a great recovery ! lisa
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees
                L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Nadia

Best wishes to you for a successful and speedy recovery!!!!!!!

Maria

Comment

Hi Nadia,

I know I'm late on my response, but I wish you well in you recovery.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                    X