hair loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hair loss

For those that had hair loss after surgery - how long did it last? When I first noticed my hair loss it wasn't that much, but now I can feel the difference. I am afraid to wash my hair because of all the hair that come out in the brush and all over the floor. I am four months post op and it's been going on for over about a month.

Sue

I'm at 4 mths post op too. I was told to expect hair loss, and I have it. I started taking supplements to prevent it about a month ago, and I feel like it's helping...
    48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

Yes I had that for at least 4 mths....I remember Linda Racine saying it was a normal thing after surgery/anesthesia....
      It too will end. My hair came in fuller & then my face filled out & I started to look human again...about 6 mths, I think...

Comment

Hi...

I don't remember how old you are Sue, but I think it's also common for surgery to throw people of a more advanced age into menopause. I barged iinto menopause after a fairly serious illness about 5 years ago, and haven't stopped losing hair yet.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Sue,

I lost some of my hair also. It would just come out every time I combed my hair. It got to the point where I would take a shower and go outside and sit on the deck and let my hair dry, run my fingers through it and let the wind take it.

It may be my imagination, but once it grew back in, I think it's thicker.

Shari

Comment

Thanks for your replies. It scares me when I comb my hair and see all that hair.

Linda
            I am 44 years old - I didn't know surgery could put a woman into early menopause.

Sue

Comment

I thk it thru me into menapause, why not get everything at once!!!?
              my husband can tell you that...

Comment

Geez. At least I know I am not alone. My hair is wrapped around my fingers when I wash it, brush it or run my fingers through it. My bathroom floor looks like it never gets swept. I leave hair everywhere. I did not know this was another side effect of surgery.
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

My surgery only involved anesthesia for maybe two hours, maybe a bit more, but my hair is coming out pretty heavy on the comb after I wash it. At least twice normal. Anyone found any supplements that help. Like maybe Biotin?

And should I be getting this from such a short time under anesthesia?
                  Stephanie, age 56
                  Diagnosed age 8
                  Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                  Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                  Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                  Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                  Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                  Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

I had read on the forum about possible hair loss and started taking Biotin before my surgery. Now at a year post-op, I still take Biotin. I never have had thick hair and didn't notice much difference after surgery.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                    X