losing weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing weight

I was really skinny when I got my brace and on top of that I lost about 5 pounds wearing my brace. My brace is sooooo loose and I have to have the "brace man" tighten it up. I was wondering if any of you guys lost weight while on your boston brace
    Fairylvr

weight lose

Yes! I lost weight, too! I was very thin, also! I think it makes sense because you are squeezing your body so much and you can't fit that normal amount of food in! It's possible your stomach has strunk!

I remember that happening.
    ~Andrea
    Andrea

Comment

Yes!

Hey i was normaly 108lbs before i got my brace and now i'm 104lbs and i've still got 3 more years to wait and get it off i wonder how skinning i'll be by then.

Comment

I havent lost any weight but I've been getting skinnier.... What's really annoying is when people say "I wish I had a brace, because then I could be skinny the easy way." They just don't understand...

Comment

i know! most of the people who meet me always say that im lucky because thanks to the brace i cant gain weight. but its not really that lucky. o well
          ¢¾ aura ¢¾

Comment

hey

im am very thin also i only weigh like 83 lbs and im going to be 14

Comment

Hi Lauren . . . you've got a curve of only 12 and you'r wearing a brace. . . . ? ? ? Thanks Lauren
              Pat

Comment

Lauren 12

OMG!! i am soooo glad there is another person out there like me! my friends all make fun of me because i'm sooo skinny. I only weigh about 75-80 somwhere in there and I AM 14! ah it's sooo frustrating!
                So, i know how you feel!
                REBECCA
                ~~Rebecca, 15 years old, 10th grade~~
                I was braced for 2 years and 4 months
                I went through 3 Boston Braces
                Original curve~34*
                Curve in 1st Brace~9*
                Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
                Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
                Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

Do any of you know if scoliosis has any relation to being skinny or not gaining weight my daughter is 11 and only weighs 58 lbs. I was kind of relieved to see how skinny some of you are. She was never braced.

Thanks
                  Linda

Comment

Hi Linda,

When we took my daughter to the first consulting visit to the orthopedic surgeon, he mentioned that idiopathic scoliosis is sometimes referred to as the "models' syndrome". He said not all, but most girls who get this are very thin and often tall (or will be tall) like models. They don't really understand idiopathic scoliosis very well yet so they don't know the correlation. Most very thin girls do not get scoliosis, but most girls who get scoliosis are very thin. They do know that it does NOT seem to be caused by diet or exersize. In fact, a lot of dancers and gymnasts get this.

My 12 year old daughter is quite thin also. She has a single lumbar/thorasic (it's right in the middle between the lumbar and thorasic) 28 degree curve and has been braced now for 6 weeks. We see a lot of improvment already. Even so, I encourage my daughter to snack healthy to keep up her weight and energy. We found a product called "Power Bites" and they come in many flavors. I just throw a bag into her lunchbox and she loves them! They don't fill her up in the brace, but they provide vitamins and calories.

Yoga at least twice a week also helps keep her muscles toned and her strength up. She loves yoga and it's time out of the brace well spent.

Good luck.

Tikka's Mom

Comment

Working...
                    X