I made it !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made it !!!

hello all- just wanted to tell you that i had my surgeries, been in rehab, and traveled almost 300 miles to get home. i have much to share, just need to get more energy.. hope everyone else is doing well !!! i even have xrays to show the results- will write more soon... God bless... Lisa
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Congrats!

Lisa, wonderful news. I'm so glad you're on the road to recovery. Stay well. LYNN
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Hi Lisa,

Congratulations!! What a relief it must be to be at this stage.

I'm curious to hear about your travels - was the 300 miles by car or airplane? I ask because I will have to fly from Seattle to Anchorage (3.5 hours), then drive another 2.5, so I am wondering about your experience.

Best to you!
      31 year old female
      55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
      T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
      Xray, 3 mos. post-op
      Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Great news - I wish you a speedy recovery.

Sue

Comment

Congratulations Lisa,

Hope eveything continues to go as smooth as possible for you during your recovery.

Just don't forget we are here for you on a bad day, good day, a day you just need to vent, or just have a question!!!

Take care,
          Shari

Comment

Welcome back Lisa! CONGRATULATIONS on getting the surgery behind you!

Ann
            44 year old female
            Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
            Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
            Posterior Only, 9 hours
            Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
            Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

hello Geo-

I traveled by car the whole way after stopping to see my doctor and take x rays first- it was noon before I even started the journey home. I would advise that you stop as frequently as possible for bathroom breaks, as I am still working out the laxative/ bowel thing. I did receive a letter and card from my doctors' office that states that i have the metal implants for the future when i fly., so... hope that helps...when are you going to have surgery? is the weather going to be a problem? God Bless Lisa
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees

Comment

here is the rundown as best I recall...

My first surgery anterior fusion done may 30, on lumbar to sacrum only took one hour and 45 minutes!!! the second one, on june 1, took 11 hours and 45 minutes!!! I cannot begin to tell you how important it is to do your research before you have this, as the hospital and doctors kind of expect you to be informed these days. thank God i had this forum to read and learn about what to expect , otherwise, i would have been very, very lost and scared. It reminded me of childbirth, kind of knowing what to expect while it was happening. I have not read very much about what to expect in rehab, but my brother broke his back a few years back and told me to prepare for the tremendously hectic pace of rehab. after i got used to the fact that I had to take responsibility to be ready for the schedule they made for you everyday, i had a great-time at Baylor Rehab in Dallas. if there are any newbies out there waiting for surgery, read everything you can and ask lots of questions. i unfortunately am allergic to the zofranil, as it is a great anti-nausea medication, as several of you told me to ask about it. I understand allergies are rare with this, and even then, it was not life threatening. Sorry for the long post, but I am pretty jazzed about about being home and back in touch with my world again!!!
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees

Comment

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the advice about stopping frequently. We may just stay in Anchorage after the flight, and try to drive home the next day. I'm sure a full day of travelling will be the last thing anyone wants!

My surgery is scheduled for mid-August. I do imagine weather may turn into an issue, as far as the cold and the rods, as other people have mentioned. There's just not a good time for it here - have a surgery close to warmer months, and you miss out on the few warm months we have here! Darn, I just may have to escape to Hawaii or Mexico to "help my back" in February

Good luck to you on your future recovery. It's amazing that you are on here so quickly, it gives me hope.
                  31 year old female
                  55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                  T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                  Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                  Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

GEO, thanks for the encouragement

You should just come on to Texas we'll all get you fixed up !!!!
                    other than floods and tornados, not much is affected by the weather here.

it was almost 100 degrees today...

No joking, I wish your decision was easier and more clear cut....Lisa

and I know you will do just as well as I am, maybe even better !!
                    Lisa age 47
                    T curve 69 degrees

Comment

Hi Geo,

You make an important point when you mention how it helps to have as much info about this upcoming surgery. I found the knowledge that I got from this forum much more valuable than any research I did.

First hand experience, whether it was good or bad, it made me prepared. I can't say that at times it didn't scare the hell out of me, but because of this forum, I actually impressed my Doctor with my knowledge of what I would be going through, and in a small way it seemed to give me some peace of mind.

It didn't help my recovery pain in any way other than understanding that what I was going through was normal. We're all different, but I felt fortunate that I had found this forum for so many different reasons!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                      X