Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery scheduled for December 4

Hi Everyone,

I just scheduled my surgery with Dr. Boachie for December 4 - he was already booked through November. I consulted with him in mid-April and I had to have a new MRI and a pulmonary test and evaluation prior to scheduling the surgery.

I was 13 when the kyphosis appeared, and now, almost 50 years later, I am having it taken care of; it was only a few years ago that I learned that surgery was an option, having been told all along that I was too old. I've since consulted with several excellent spine surgeons. Thanks to this forum I was able to educate myself and to learn about Dr. Boachie. My kyphosis is increasing rapidly and now is 100*; the plan at this point is to fuse T2 to L1. Dr. Boachie said he would be happy if he could get a correction to 70* because of spinal rigidity and osteoporosis, and would gain about 1.5 inches height (I've lost 4 inches).

My deepest appreciation to all of you for sharing your fears and experiences. And my sincere thanks to Linda Racine for directing me to this forum in the first place.

25 weeks and counting,

Janet
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Good luck Janet,

Obviously you couldn't have choosen a better forum to join in my opinion.

There are a few of us older women here that are more than willing to help you get through the anticipation phase and the post op phase.

Keep in touch,
    Shari

Comment

Originally posted by Shari
      There are a few of us older women here that are more than willing to help you get through the anticipation phase and the post op phase.
      Shari
      Shari- Thanks so much for your kind words. As "women of a certain age", I think we have much more emotional baggage due to the deformity (for me, 50 years worth of self-conciousness), and go into this knowing that the degree of correction may not be good as for younger persons. Nevertheless, I am thrilled that I will straighter, have better balance, and the curve progression will be stopped.

This forum has been a godsend for me, and I look forward to "meeting" more of the graduates and being mentored by them.

Janet
      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Hi Janet,

I think you haved summed up a lot of our feeling with so few words.

Many of us older ones know that we will not get the same correction as the younger people having this surgery, but I think we have to weigh the advantages that we will get.

For me my correction was good not great, but the most important thing to me was to stop the progression, the cosmetic improvements for me were an added bonus!!!

Everytime I look at my back I am still amazed. It was rough, but it was worth it!!!

Shari

Comment

Janet-good luck to you and keep in touch........Ly

Comment

I'm happy for you, ladies. So, you think we are doing the right thing by subjecting our otherwise healthy, beautiful dancer teen to spinal fusion at age 13? You can read about her in my sig. She will definitely keep progressing because she is at a 0 risser.
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

lecl2002 - I've sent a PM

Comment

Working...
              X