Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some bad news.....

Hey.....

well as you all know i had a successful operation. I have now got a set back since i've been home the bottom of my incision is not healing very well it keeps pussing up and looks blistered like. I've been to the hospital and they drained it out and sent it off which they said nothing is growing but my surgeon said if it doesn't get any better, ill need surgery.

It's been 4 days since his said that and my incision keeps weeping out stuff all the time. He said the surgery will be an hour or so where they just put drains in to clean everything out, and then ill be sent home with a drain and ill have a nurse give me antibiotics everyday for 3 weeks.....

Has anyone had this done before or heard of this????

Otherwise im feeling really good my anterior scar looks good and posterior one looks good with just a thin line except for the bottom where the infection is. My recovery is good and hardly on that many pain killer and its not even 3 weeks post op yet!!!!!

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

I had a similar experience, but without the drains.

7 weeks after my surgery, my husband noticed that the top of my incision was not healing. My surgeon hoped that stitching it closed would do the trick. He said if not, it was definitely an infection. A week later, hours after the stitches were removed, it opened up again. He scheduled me for surgery the next morning. Going in we didn't know if it was a surface infection or if it had reached the bone. He said that if it had gotten to the bone, I would be on IV anitbiotics for 6 weeks. He got in there and found that it was a surface infection only. He cleared the infected tissue out, sewed me up and I was on my way home...it healed perfectly after that.

I hope your problem is fairly simple to correct and heals quickly.

Comment

I think I had a similar situation... except it was the morning I left the hospital, my incision ripped open a bit at the bottom. And all the "dead blood" (as they called it - the blood from the surgery that is trapped under the skin??) came out that tiny hole in my incision, and my incision "leaked" or "bled" or "weeped" whatever you want to call it, for about a week. My parents had to keep changing the dressing multiple times a day, and I took a bunch of antibiotics. Mostly it was just gross, and I have a little bump on my scar where it had been. This was probably the most disgusting and uncomfortable part of the surgery, as my parents didn't know exactly how to dress & undress such a wound, on a bruised and sensitive no less!

But I'm fine now and never had any other problems. There was a name for this... but I can't quite remember, maybe hematoma? A friend of the family is a nurse so she was good to turn to, since my doctors didn't return our phone calls or give us enough supplies to deal with it.

I hope it all works out for you!
      lisanicolegrace
      29/F/Canada
      Surgery - 11/10/2000
      80° curve to 19° post op.
      www.lisanicolegrace.com
      @lisanicolegrace
      facebook
      x-rays
      picture of my back

Comment

A few day after I was home from the hospital I had weeping at the bottom of my incision. It was an infection I was given antibotics it took a couple of weeks to stop. Three months later the same area swelled up and now I have an infection between two of my discs.

Even when your infection clears up - ask them for a blood test every check up to make you the infection is gone and not does not returned.

Sue

Comment

Well guys i'v seen my surgeon and he said its not an infection and there is no need for surgery, all tests came back good and i've had 3 blood tests and all of them seem to say its getting better.
          It's so annoying that all my scars have healed so nice but for the end which is like 5 cm long of it can't seem to stop weeping i have to change my dressings twice a day it's now been a week and a half since its started i do hope soon it stops. I'm seeing my surgeon on wednesday as his asked for another blood test to be done, as you see my surgeon is very thorough.... which is a good thing!!!!!

I'll keep you guys posted... but with the rest of my pain im feeling really good tomorrow is 3 weeks post op.. YAY!!!!

Lee

Comment

weeping

Dear Lee

Sorry to hear about the little setback. Thank goodness, no infection. Like you read on these forums all the time, it's two steps forward and one step back, but thankfully this was only a tiny, weeny step back.

I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since the op already. You're sounding quite strong and cheery - keep it up! Best wishes for a steady recovery.

By the way, who's looking after you? Are you at home with your boyfriend? Or are you staying with your Mum? Hope I'm not getting too personal, I was just wondering whether one needs full-time care for the first few weeks.

Paula
            Last edited by misspaula; 06-17-2007, 08:24 PM. Reason: Just another thought
            Paula
            Anterior/Posterior surgery T5 to Sacrum
            Sydney Australia
            58 years old

Comment

I'm at home with my mum not because i need her more but because of this little set back i need her to change the dressings etc and my boyfriend i think is a little scared to be a nurse for 5 mins hehe.....

But ill be going back to his house hopefully next week or so.

Lee

Comment

Staph Infection

I had the same problem with the bottom of my incision. They took a sample of the fluid and found that I had aquired resitant staph infection at the hospital in the incision.

Unfortunately, they had to go back in and open my incision in the operarting room and clean out the whole surgical site. Then I had to have a PICC line inserted in my arm and did a six week antibiotic intervenously twice a day. I am still on oral antibiotics. Maybe for the rest of my life.

I hope you are dealing with a less serious infection. But I did survive all of the surgery and here I am eight months post op.

Take care

Joan

Comment

Well mine isn't an infection as i have had all the tests done and they show no infection. My surgeon just said it just hasn't healed good like the rest.

It looks like a blister with fluid in there..... i don't feel sick or anything so thats why the doc doesn't seem to think something major is wrong i've been getting blood tests once a week to see whats happening and each time the tests say my blood levels are improving but the incision seem to stay the same its really weird!!!!!

Lee

Comment

Glad to hear you're ok and your healing is coming along.
                    I also had weeping of my incision for a long time. My doctor didn't do any blood test but he did test the fluid that was coming out of my incision. That test found an infection. I was put on anitbotics (sp) and it cleared up in about two weeks. Now I have lump around the area where it was leaking. Tomorrow I am having an CT guided needle biopsy (so scared of this test) to draw fluid from the infection. Dr. said this will let he know what kind of infection I have and then he'll know what medication to put me on. In the future I will have to have another surgery to clean it out.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                    X