Hey I'm a newb here, first post i think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey I'm a newb here, first post i think

My dad kept telling me it was a good idea to post on this forum. Nice to meet you all my name is Andy. I had surgery february 28 2007, and i have to wear a brace until the end of august, and i experience lots of pain when I walk. I have to admit i have been doing some activities that my doctor definitly wouldn't approve of, but it is really hard to be with friends and have so many limitations... its great that there is a forum to discuss common issues related to this. and i hope to get to know you guys feel free to talk to me sometime. Hope you all are feeling well.

Hi Andy,

Welcome to this forum!!! Your Dad must be a wise man!!!

I don't know how old you are, but you sound young??? Regardless of your age, you have to let yourself heal after this surgery.

If they are true friends, they will be there for you forever!!! If what you are doing right now to be with your friends is risking your recovery, then you're being foolish!!! Do you really want to do anything that would cause you to have to any kind of revision surgery right now???

I don't know your story, but if you want to have your friends around, then have them come to you!!! You can still have fun with them without putting yourself at risk.

Like I said, I don't know your story, but I felt the need to give my opinion.

Since it's your 1st post, it wouldn't hurt to tell us your situation.

Then again, you could always say, it's none of our business!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Andy!

Do we know each other? Hershey support group maybe?

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Mary Lou! Hey hows everything? Yeah your right I should get friends who really care lol. But what I've been doing... Well its pretty bad. I climbed some trees.. And I ran from someone who confronted me with a baseball bat and I tripped over some stuff... and tried to play hacky sack.. tried to help lift a car..
        But for now on I'm going to try to be strict with myself.. and im 19
        Last edited by LiteFruitTK; 06-14-2007, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I hope you feel supported by people & can get what you need to try to take better care of yourself. I know it's hard but the more you follow your doctor's orders now, the sooner you won't need the doctor, hopefully, & the sooner you may be able to walk without any pain.

Good luck!
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

you tried to lift a car?! HAHA, no wonder it hurts when you walk.

ease up, and you'll heal quicker. I know being 19 is tough when you can't be active (and it's summer time!) but you'll be a lot stonger in the end.

Good luck with recovery. My surgery is the 29th of June...I'm getting nervous!
            Sonia
            58*
            Surgery 6/29/07
            T3-L4

Comment

Thanks you guys. 29th huh? I hope it goes well for you. My surgery wasn't that bad.. other than my legs which felt really weird, my doctor said it was common. but i could walk a lot easier right after surgery... now whenever i walk my hips hurt some reason.. but yeah it wasn't all that bad... i puked non stop for about 8 days though.. my mind was set on having it done, so i chose not to think about it until the day of the surgery..

Comment

Working...
              X