4 Months and counting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Months and counting...

I am now 4 months away from surgery (9/24/07) and I'm torn between being afraid that it's so close and not wanting to spend one more day feeling that my body is collapsing...

I hate feeling my kidney shoved against my liver and ribs every time I sit dowm... I feel SO uncofortable in addition to the pain.

Does anyone have any encouraging words as I am so tired of this roller coaster, and yet I know that it is only just beginning........ Thanks.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Hi Ann,

All of us understand exactly why you have such mixed emotions!!! It's a hard surgery to decide to have. The uncertainty of the outcome, the fear of the pain of recovery, and the question in your mind of whether you're doing the right thing.

It is a very hard decision to make, it was for me, but I weighed the pros and cons of it and after 2 years I can honestly say that I am glad I did it!!!

It seems that the shorter the fusion and the younger you are, recovering seems to be easier, I wasn't that fortunate. But at 2 years post op, I still have some pain, but it doesn't even compare to the pain I had prior to my surgery!!!

All my best,
    Shari

Comment

10 days at counting

Hi Ann,

The wait is very hard. I don't think anyone facing this surgery hasn't felt a mixture of terror, impatience, resolve, determination, fear, etc.....sometimes all at the same time!!

I've kept as busy as I can and have walked miles and miles....it's the only thing that helps me sleep at night, and now I'm in really good physical shape.

Actually it's a good thing you feel that your back is collapsing and your organs are squooshed, because that means you don't have to second-guess your decision -- you KNOW you need to get it done. I have the same feeling when I'm walking and feeling my bottom left ribs jab into my mid-section every time I take a step. Also, I'm reallly looking forward to being able to sit more comfortably (eventually).

Perhaps most importantly, the closer I get to the surgery, the more I feel that my body and mind are preparing themselves in some deep way that I didn't expect. I think you get the strength you need when you need it.

Good luck!!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Ann,

I just read your other post about you going to Dallas tomorrow. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. I pray that everything turns out all right for you. If you have to have the surgery now, at least you won't have to wait anymore.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
        X