Spacing Anterior/Posterior Surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacing Anterior/Posterior Surgeries

I have been following the website journal created by the family of a 61-year-old woman who had surgery in St. Louis by Dr. Bridwell. She had posterior fusion from T3 to the sacrum in early April and is back in St. Louis where she underwent anterior surgery two days ago. I find it interesting that Dr. Bridwell performs the posterior surgery first. Apparently with older patients who require two procedures he prefers to space the surgeries by a couple of months rather than performing both procedures within a few days to a week apart while the patient remains in the hospital. I saw Dr. Bridwell for an evaluation last September and I would definitely consider him but I’m not sure I like the idea of undergoing one procedure and then having to wait another two months to have the next procedure done. Initially I was told that in my case he would perform posterior from T-9 to the sacrum and then distal anterior in one operation, but then I know how things change. The three surgeons I saw in Chicago all recommend A/P for me in two operations over a 10-14 day hospital stay.

I’m curious to hear from those of you who are older and have had A/P fusion if you were relieved to have had your surgeries performed with one hospital stay or looking back would you rather have had them spaced over a few months?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am still amazed that each Dr. has a different procedure and still don't quite understand why they are so different. I had my A/P six days apart, and I'm glad I did. I have a feeling I may of chickened out if I would have had to wait 2 months between surgeries.

Shari

Comment

I'll never forget being originally told in the doctor's office that it would be 2 operations needed. It was such a blow when I knew nothing of this. Thinking back, it would have been even harder to handle if they were spread out. I was much more relieved when I was told it would be done in the same day. I still remember hoping , up to operation time, that all could be fit into a day's work what with the complex, large curve I had. All worked out....Ly

Comment

Now I think I know why Dr. Bridwell performs the posterior procedure first when spinal correction requires two procedures. Apparently anterior is much more painful and maybe the patient would not return for round two. I just checked the website of the aforementioned woman and her husband reported that she was screaming in pain as in childbirth. Shari, I had asked Dr. Bridwell about the inconsistency as it relates to procedures and opinions, and he told me I can go to a hundred different doctors and get a hundred different opinions.

Chris

Comment

Screaming in pain, eh???

Sounds like I better ask for a bullet to bite...... .
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Don't worry, Chris. Dr. Boachie's performing your surgery and I hear he's painless.

Chris

Comment

almost...............only kidding, Chris & Chris...
              that's where morphine comes in.....your imagination is way worse on the pain thing than it will ever be...at least mine was.... Ly

plus I was never offered a bullet....

Comment

I have to agree with Lynne. There are several very wise women here!!!

We all have our ups and downs before and after the surgery, and I think that's normal. I am 2 years post op and I still have some bad days, but the good days are much more frequent now.

I still think that our recoveries also depend on our age, length of fusion and what procedure our Dr. chooses to use. Of course, that's only my opinion!!!

A year ago on a bad day I would have said I wished I wouldn't have had the surgery, but now I am so glad that I did!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                X