Question about beds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about beds

I wasn't planning on getting a hospital bed, but....my bed has a pretty high frame. When I sit on the side of the bed my feet don't touch the ground; I have to slide off. Will this be a big problem post-op? Can I just get a little platform or something??

I resist a hospital bed because of the psychological implications -- we had one in the house for my mother in law when she lived with us and it's really hard to even think about seeing one again. Any ideas for how I can rig my present bed to work post-op?

Thanks!

Driving myself crazy with these types of details,
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Chris,

I'v been home for 5 days now and the first two nights I tried to sleep in my own bed which is also a little high and my husband helped me with a stool, but I was afraid of falling. Even though my bed was very comfy before surgery, I found it not to be comfy after. We bought a single size mattress topper for the couch and I love it, its very easy to get in and out of and my kids are always around to help. We actually have two couches in the room and my husband sleeps on the second without a topper and refuses to let the kids stay with me at night as he wants to be there.

We bought the expensive one from Costco and it was worth it, its the best one we have in the house. I did not find the hospital bed anywhere near as comfortable.

Good Luck,
    Patty
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

My bed was on lifts to make it higher. My first day home, my husband had to take the lifts off because it was too tall for me to get into without causing unecessary pain. Maybe it will be different for you, Chris. Maybe you'll be a bit taller after surgery and it won't be a problem for you. But, I was only 5'2" before and wasn't much taller when I came home so I was SOL. If you can, maybe try a lower frame.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I just used a mini step bench from linens and things. I've heard people use a step that is used for step aerobics too. I think your much better off getting used to sleeping in your own bed.......it makes things easier down the road.
        Jenn
        37 y/o female
        60 degree lumbar
        45 degree thoracic
        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
        T 5 to S 1
        NYC

Comment

Hi Chris,

My bed was waist high and I knew there was no way in hell I was going to be able to get in or out of it.

We had a spare bedroom and got a bed that was lower so it was easier for me to get in and out of it.

There were times in my recovery that I wish I would have rented a hospital bed. The biggest reason being that I would have liked the option of raising it up or down for comfort. But I didn't want to be in a bed that I had to climb into and slide out of.

I know you aren't on here much right now, but I want to take the opportunity to let you know that your are in my thoughts a lot. I know you have to be a nervous wreck with your surgery coming up so soon.

All my best wishes are with you. Take care!!!

Shari

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the soft step stool and if that doesn't work I'll have Hubby take the bed off the frame altogether. We have a nice low bed but it's upstairs....so I have options.

Thanks Shari!!! I'm doing okay......
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

memory foam mattress

I'm 7 days post op. We initiallly borrowed a hospital bed from a relative but I lasted one night in it. I am much more comfortable with my memory foam mattress. I had to kick my husband out to another room. As of today, the most comfortable position is reclining in my bed. I do have to slide to get in and out.

Best,
              Jody
              surgery 5-31-07
              Dr. Wood, Mass General
              Fused T10-L4
              Had 55 degree curve now 6 degrees

Comment

Hi Jody,

I couldn't even write on this froum so soon after my surgery, so you are already doing better than I did. Keep up the great recovery, I'm a little jealous

Shari

Comment

I had to be talked into using a hospital bed once I returned home from the hospitaly and I am so happy that I did. I used it to sleep, watch TV, and on bad days I ate there. Having the ability to raise it up & down made all of the difference in the world, especially for those bad days.
                  Surgeries were Dec. 1 & 8, 2006.
                  All went well.

Comment

Working...
                  X