Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anya's surgery is over, and all went well

Hello Forum friends,

As promised - I'm Chris, Anya's (abhbarry's) husband, writing to inform you that her surgery went very smoothly with no unexpected problems. She's resting now, drifting in and out of sleep. Her spinal fusion today fused T4 to L3 and the surgeon anticipates a curve correction from ca. 55 degrees to ca. 20. He also expects a good alleviation of pain.

She's in considerable pain but luckily is sleeping a lot, and I doubt she'll remember much of these 24 hours. (Her first words to me: "Hi honey. I love you. My back hurts.") She's under control of her own pain medication when she is awake, though, via a finger control. Tomorrow will be a big day - sitting up and standing - and is the beginning of more challenges for certain. I'm so proud of her for making this first step, though - she's a tough cookie and will pull through admirably.

Thanks to all of you for your posts, replies, and helpful suggestions. It's made a huge difference in our preparation for this surgery - it's always much more helpful to talk about these things with like-minded folks rather than to stew in uncertainty. Anya intends to be right back on this forum within a few weeks, continuing with her own posts and replies to return the favor. Thank you once again - I will keep posting as she continues to progress this week.

Best,
    Chris

P.S. Her surgeon and hospital are highly recommended, as they've helped us prepare for and carry through with the surgery with the utmost vigilance and sensitivity: Dr. Clifford Tribus (Madison, WI) and the University of Wisconsin Hospital.
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Hi Chris,
    I am so glad all went well! Tell her I'm routing for her.....Lynne

fused T-11 to L-5/last August

Comment

Chris,

Thank you so much for taking the time to update us. As each new person goes through their surgery those of us who have been through it can't help but think back to our own experience and how much this forum helped us.

If you have any questions for us as you take this journey with Anya please ask. We are here for you too. Give my best wishes and hope for an uneventful and comfortable recovery to her.

Comment

Thank you, Chris.
        Congratulations, Anya! We all know what difficult journey this is, and we are proud of you.

Comment

Chris, thank you for the update. Please let her know that all of her forum buddies are thinking of her.

Brandi
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yay, it's over!! Best wishes for an uneventful recovery.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Great news! Wishing you a speedy recovery. LYNN
              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
              2000 Partial Rod Removal
              2001 Right Scapular Resection
              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Thanks for the update, glad to hear surgery was successful. Wishing Anya well in her recovery.

Renee

Comment

Hi everyone -

A quick update from the ortho ward . . . Anya's progressing, but slowly because her stomach hasn't woken up yet. That prevents them from giving her any pain pills, which are far more consistent and easier to administer than the button-controlled IV pain medicine. For that reason she had a rough night last night - she slept for several hours at a time, which was great, but in that time she couldn't press the pain button! Thus she awoke in horrible pain, which took a while to subdue via IV.

She sat up and stood for the first time yesterday, which was a major triumph, and took her first steps with a walker today. Unfortunately she's experienced lots of nausea and dizziness with those "vertical" experiences (I didn't know that color green even existed inside the body . . .) and so she's being given another unit of blood via transfusion right now. The surgeon is coming in later to assess her standing alignment - we expect nothing but a good report, especially since she's now an inch or so closer to my height. Here's hoping for even more rapid progression in the days ahead.

Thanks again for all your kind comments! I'll relay them all to Anya when she's coherent enough. Suggestions for dealing with the various odd problems post-surgery are also welcome.

Best,
                  Chris (Anya's husband)

19 degrees post-op!

Comment

great news..thanks!!! wish her the best please!
                    yes, it is coming back to me about the dizzyness/nausea when I first sat up in a chair.....but it did'nt last too long.....she'll forget it....Ly

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
                    fused T-11 to L-5 last August...

Comment

Chris,

Thanks so much for the updates on Anya. I wish her all the best during this time of recovery.

Your updates are especially helpful. It's nice to get a different perspective from someone experiencing the recovery from the other side of the coin.

All the best,
                      MishP
                      38 y/o
                      Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 6 - Bracing didn't help
                      Brace off at age 12
                      Saw Chiropractor/massage therapist
                      Pre-op
                      Upper Curve - 115 degrees
                      Lower Curve - 85 degrees
                      9/18/07 Anterior/posterior surgery w/Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                      Fused T2-L3
                      Not sure of post-op correction

Comment

Hi Chris,

I too want to thank you for the updates!!! You're a good person!!!

Take care of her, and you both will be in my thoughts and prayers

You both have a rough road ahead, and she's lucky to have you by her side!!!

Shari

Comment

Hello, Chris again, writing during my daily shower break at home before heading off to work from the hospital. Our lady is still in the hospital 8 days post-op struggling with the distended stomach. It's still causing lots of discomfort and nausea, so she's stuck with that liquid diet. A general surgeon yesterday decided that intervention of the unpleasant, tubular kind was necessary and that has been helping her clear out some of the gas/bloating . . . but it's a process that's not over yet, so we're waiting for her stomach to go down and for her to be able to keep solids down before she can come home. On the bright side, she is walking all around the ortho floor and does stairs like a champ - barely using the walker when walking and expertly wielding a cane on the steps. The therapist would have been happy discharging her yesterday (argh!) if not for the stomach problems.

Sounds like stomach problems are a common thread here on the forum - I certainly wasn't prepared for it to last this long or to be this severe, and it sounds like lots of people had the same experience. I don't recall being prepared for it; perhaps some more serious discussion is called for on the doctors' part for this.

I hope to post again soon with the good news that Anya is home and well! Thanks as always for your positive thoughts and helpful suggestions.

Best,
                          Chris

19 degrees post-op!

Comment

Hi Chris- give Anya my best..
                            I don't recall having that problem in the hospital...maybe I was too sedated? I had it more when I got to the rehab about day 10-11. I was hiding out in my room hoping I would'nt have to go to Physical therapy some days due to stomach/intestinal issues. It got better, gradually. In my opinion the digestion issues were way worse than the body/pain factor thru all of this....this too shall pass... Ly

fused T-11 to L-5/last August..

Comment

Dear Chris,

I'm so sorry Anya had to have the tube put it. My doctor told me that was a possiblity but we managed to get rid of the gas through suppositories, gas x, burping and... The suppositories was what got things going. I had to tell the nurses to try this therapy - it's worked in the past with one of my kids.
                              I also used a heating pad to help.

The good news is that I forgot my back pain while I was struggling with the belly issues. I am 13 days post op and feel terrific. The staples came out today and I can walk around the block.
                              surgery 5-31-07
                              Dr. Wood, Mass General
                              Fused T10-L4
                              Had 55 degree curve now 6 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X