Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iron supplements before blood donations

hi everyone

I'm scheduled for a/p on june 26/27 and I am giving my first unit on 6/11.
    My dr said not to take any iron, but the blood bank just told me on Fri 6/1, that I needed to take iron. Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks
    Maria

RIRI- I had to take Iron prior to blood donations per the Dr.s office. Ly-
    I also took folic acid & vitamin C, I believe....

Comment

Per my surgeon's (and blood bank) instructions, I have been taking iron (feosol/sulfate 325 mg 3xday) since before my donation, and continuously since then until one month after my surgery.

This was my third surgery and third time donating, and each time I was given instructions to take iron.

I guess I would question your doctor's instructions.
      Trulyaries
      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Iron Supplements

Maria~I can now actually speak with some experience: I just today completed my last blood donation (I was able to give 3 units all together over the course of the last month!). I did not begin taking iron until after my second donation. My iron percentage was lower than the first time I donated, so I decided to begin taking it. I was not instructed to begin taking it by my doctor until 2 weeks before surgery. This was 3 weeks prior to surgery. On my third donation my iron level was too low and they wouldn't take my blood. Today I successfully gave my third and last donation. It all worked out and I was told 3 units will be enough and more! My surgery is June 19! Hope this helps!
        Sue
        A/P Surgery June 19 & 26 2007
        T9 to Sacrum
        Dr. Jeffrey Stambough~Deaconess Hospital
        Cincinnati, Ohio

Sue~48 yrs. old

Comment

Working...
        X