I'm Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Home

We'll I made it, with only one complication.

Rright after surgery I was taken into recovery and when they started giving me meds for pain, apperantly I had a reaction to the meds and my breathing slowled dowm so much that they said I stopped breathing twice, although they did not need to restart my heart but said thay had to put me on high oxygen levels and continuly tell me to breath in through my nose and out through the mouth. At this time i had to be taken off all pain meds and went through the first 24 Hours with nothing. I was in so much pain, thank god they let my husband and family into recovery and then ICU, although they did not tell them anything that happened while they were in ICU (apparently they were only allowed in for a couple minutes each) Once in the ICU, My husband stayed and refused to leave. When he came in I asked if they told him what had happened and he did not know until I told him and then the Dr. came into to talk to him. That was when we heard it would be 24 hours before any pain meds, I was on Oxygen with an alarm that continuly went off and someone would wake me and tell me to take deeper breaths. Even after the pain meds were restarted, My breathing was very shallow and slow for about 3 more days.

I read the posts about how everyone could walk up and down the halls several times a day and I was lucky to get out of bed once a day and walk a very short distance. I came home after 9 days and am still totally exausted. I'm very happy with the results with the outcome, but hope I gain my strength back soon. I can't even sit in a chair yet for more that a few min..
    I'll tell more later, typing while flat on your back is exausting.

By the way I was fused T3 to L4
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Welcome back Patty!

Your strength will return and you will get better everyday. The tough part is over, you have joined us on the other side! I am glad you are happy with your outcome, that really does help you when you might wonder why you went through all this as you recover. We have all had THAT thought at least once in our recovery! Being exhausted and not able to sit at first is very normal. You have been through a lot, you need to remember that and take each day as a step toward your new life. You are going to be amazed how fast you will look back on your first days and weeks post-op and realise just how far you have come. Best wishes.

Comment

congrats on a successful surgery despite the drug overdose, lol... did they give you morphine? Cause that can slow down your breathing and cause you to even stop breathing altogether if given too much. Anyhow, what's important is that you are home and recovering!! Keep a strong head and we are all sending you well-wishes.
      Abbie
      aBbiE
      22 yr old F,KU college student
      Kyphoscoliosis...
      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
      Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
      I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
      Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
      all smiles!

Comment

Patty,

I am glad to hear that you are home doing better.
        I also was allergic to the pain meds that were given to me, and it was hard for me to get up and around for about a week after coming home... make sure you do though - it is extremely important to try to walk in order to avoid blood clots.
        Congratulations!

Comment

Welcome home, Patty!

Hope being home and well cared for will help you recover as quickly as possible and build back your strength and endurance. We all like to think we are bionic -- and many days we are! In the meantime, kick back a little and take the time required for your body and spirit to heal properly.

Linda
          Linda
          Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
          S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
          Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
          Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Welcome home Patty,

I have to agree with other's here, when they say that we never recover like we think we will. I know I didn't. It's a rough thing to do to keep a positive attitude when we get discouraged.

Just try and remember that you have just gone through a major surgery, one that can be rough, try and keep in mind that it does get better.

For me, I measured my progress month by month at first, then it became week by week. It just takes time.

Shari

Comment

Working...
            X