improvement or misread x-ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• improvement or misread x-ray?

In January, the radiologist of our local children's hospital said my daughter (age 12, skeletal maturity zero) had a 13.5 degree curve based on the xray. The orthopedist we saw afterwards said the xray had been misread and her curve was 23.5 degrees. We prepared for bracing in May. Well guess what.. the new xray showed her curve as 14 degrees. Orthopedist said she must have "stood up straighter" for this last xray. Can that really happen? or did the orthopedist actually misread the xray? I'm not complaining - am really really happy that we don't need to be braced at present. But I am concerned - do I get comfortable or stay prepared?

Sherry

Sherry,

Curves can flucuate somewhat (which I'm told means that the spine is flexible). Also, there is a 5 degree margin of error with x-rays, and the way one stands can also have some slight impact on the reading.

As far as whether you should get comfortable or be prepared, I guess you should be cautiously optimistic BUT keep a close eye on her for the next few years - with xrays as often as your doctor suggests (probably every 4-6 months).

Hopefully, she'll never need to be braced. However, with scoliosis I don't think any of us can ever get 100% comfortable until all growth is done.

Good luck to you,
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

x-ray

taking x-ray pictures is a difficult job with children,the curve's are mostley flexible and indeed will fluctuate a little, here in holland they always make 3 pictuers , 1 standing staight , 2 bending to te left or the right ( depending on curve ) , 3 on the side . this way you get the least misstakes in the pictures.
      but in your case , you've been lukky but keep a close watch on her back and if you don't trust it , contact your doctor for closer examination . Good luck.

Stan orthopedic instrument maker
      netherlands , Europe

Comment

Working...
      X