KI Jane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KI Jane

I had surgery November 20, 2006 and was fused T2 to the sacrum. I just passed the six month mark 10 days ago. I thought I would be better then; I know it is a big benchmark for healing. But I still have lots of pain, numbness and tingline in the right foot, and swelling. But in some ways the most disturbing is a balance problem, especially with the right foot. Ifeel that I might fall--and naturally I desperately do not want to. That is the one thing Dr Lenke told me not to do. I am working on balance with a therapist but I do not feel I have made much progress since the second month when I stopped using the walker and then the cane.

Last week I spent five days downtown in Charleston SC near where I live for the Spoleto Festival. My first big foray to test the waters. Everything in the city and the old concert halls is uneven bluestone, bad steps, no rails, unconforable seats (I travel with cushions to most places). It was really a trial and I am discouraged, especially because my husband and I are in the process of signing up for a trip to Italy in September (which will be almost 10 months). We had to cancel it last year because of the surgery.

Has anyone taken a long flight 10 months after their surgery. (Would be business class, but one still has the waits, the security checks and my metal really sends them out of their minds) Did you do ok on a tour through an "old" place? Of course there will be lots of museums, but hill towns, and far from pristine sidewalks and streets. Am I crazy? My husband and I so want to resume our previous lives. I have had three surgeries in three years. And it has been a drag.

I still need so much help--cannot tie shoe, bend over to pick something up, imperfect toileting.

Any advice, previous experience, wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I should mention that I will celebrate my 70th birthday in Italy. I have a lot of stiffness and arthritis that is not caused by the surgery but exacerbated by the recovery. I do not expect miracles. But I look so great now as everyone says, I just wish I felt that way and could function that way. I regained my original height, 5 6", weigh 110, and lost 4 plus inches in the waist which was increasing as the curve increased. My old clothes look great.

Wanting to go for it but not stuck in Rome lying down all the time while the Euros mount. Thanks in advance

Hi KI Jane,

I was only 45 when I had my surgery, and I had a long recovery. Don't get discouraged, even though I know how easy it is to do!!!

I think the older we are the longer it takes us to heal, but for me it only kept getting better month by month. I'm impressed by how active you already are at 6 months!!!

How long was your fusion?

Shari

Comment

Hi KI Jane,

Today, almost 2 weeks from my third scoliosis surgery, was the first time in years that I could put my heals against the wall and actually feel the back of my head touching the wall as well. I feel straight now!!!! My PT therapist was trying to give me some exercises to do against the wall and I just couldn't because of Flatback. My C 7 was to far forward of my sacrum by 14 cm. I just did a conversion over the internet and that is equal to about 5.5 inches!!!! I had an awful time with walking, especially on uneven ground or for any length of time. Can you do that simple thing of putting your heals against the wall and feeling the back of your head touch the wall? Maybe your sagital balance is off like mine was. Just a thought! You will love Italy......but don't waste your time going unless you can really enjoy it!!!! I know that sounds harsh, but we went to Vegas for my son's 21st B'day last year and I was so disappointed because I couldn't keep up with everyone else. That was only walking the strip in Vegas!!!! I would hate to know that I spent all that money to go to Italy and not REALLY see it. It has been 30 years since I had gone to Rome, our goal is trying to get back to Germany and Italy next summer when I'm healed and stronger.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

KI Jane,

I was just reading another thread of yours and it could be that you just still need more time to rebuild your muscles. I am only 51, but had lots of muscle atrophy from the scoliosis. I went through lots of PT and strength building this past year to see if that would help with my balance issue. Obviously I had a structual problem that needed to be fixed, now hopefully the exercises and strengthening will work better for me. Have you done any PT yet for strengthening? I didn't start til one year after my 2nd surgery.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
        X