Stomach pains after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomach pains after surgery

I had T-4-L3 fused on May 14th, followed by a rough week in the hospital due to my stomach completly shutting down. It has been 2 1/2 weeks since surgery and my back is doing great, my stomach on the other hand is so full of gas it is 10 times more painful than my back. I have been to several doctors with minimal relief.

Anyone else have the same complications? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kari

Kari,

I had an illius after my first surgery and had alot of trouble with gas pains and constipation when I got home. I did use some gas relief pills but the thing that really helped was the laxatives. I used the Laxatives for Women, I took one at night, then when I hadn't gone the next day I took another one the next night.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Kari - I experienced the same thing but with another type surgery. My husband went to the pharmacist since my doctor didn't give me any suggestions and was recommended Gas-X. I swear I took one or two tablets and it was gone. I suffered for days on end before learning about it. I would highly recommend this product. I know it's extremely painful especially when you are recovering from a major surgery such as yours. Take care, LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Hi Kari-
        I am 5 months post op and my stomach is still pretty distended. I think mine is mostly swelling but I know some of it is air too. In the beginning when I was constipated I took GNC's "Herbal Laxative"- it really worked. And eat lots of fiber! I eat a cereal every day called "Ezekiel 4:9"- it is usually in the health food aisle. If not the store can order it for you. It is made by a company called Food For Life. I swear by it- it has so much fiber in it I feel it really helped my insides get back to normal!
        Cathie

Comment

Working...
        X