Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Brynn

Hello all,

I received an update from Caleb last night about Brynn. As of last Wed (8 days post op) she could walk 2 laps around her floor sometimes with out her walker and was sitting up for 2 hrs/day. She had some pain, sometimes extreme, but overall things were ahead of schedule. Everything was smoothly... too smooth as it turned out.

Wed. night she woke up to a wheezing sound in her lungs. Turned out she had built up fluid in her lungs & heart and had some kidney strain. After an astounding # of tests by Thurs. night the news came back she was clear from any life-threatening conditions but needed a few days of treatment to clear up the excess fluid that had accumulated in her body due to the trama of surgery. They also found out she was a little short of blood. These things along with strong pain meds that depress respiration led to a lack of oxygen and more fluid build up.

So as of yesterday Brynn was in day 3 of treatment for excess fluid (lasix injections) She has nearly overcome the setback and is getting strong again. Caleb called her 'Bionic Brynn". She has gained much more mobility. She can sit herself up and walk unassisted. The Dr's. expect to move her to the rehab hosp. that is on the same grounds as the hosp. she is in by early next week. Caleb says if all goes well she could be home within a week or so.

Brynn is working on finding the right balance of pain meds to keep her comfortable as she becomes more and more active.

Caleb is reading our posts to Brynn and she is glad to know we are all thinking of her and keeping her in our thoughts. She won't be back on for a bit but he will continue to keep passing on our messages.

A lot of this info I copied from his letter and hope it isn't confusing, I had to summarize somewhat.

Thanks so much for the update Suzy. I've been wondering how Brynn has been doing. Sorry to hear she's had complications, hope she continues to progress each day.

Stay strong Brynn! I'm sure you have many people sending positive, healing vibes your way!

Renee

Comment

thks Suzy for updating us on Brynn. I am so happy she is out of surgery and wish her the best on her recovery. Ly

Comment

Thanks for the update. Stay strong Brynn. You can do it!

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hello again,

As of yesterday Brynn was moved to the re-hab center. She is doing well and is on her way to independence. I will keep you all posted. Please keep her in your thoughts. Thanks, Suzy

Comment

Way to go, Brynn! Hope you will feel stronger every day in the Rehab Center and that you will be home soon. You are a terrific example of a "can do" attitude for all of us who have surgeries scheduled in the upcoming weeks. Keep up the good progress as well as your spirits! We have heard from others that there are some days during recovery when you might feel like something that the cat dragged in -- try not to let those days get the best of you. Even a bedraggled cat turns into a purring beauty with a little TLC, warm milk and rest so take advantage of any and all the pampering you receive and deserve.

We are looking forward to the time when you are able to post for yourself and let us know how you are doing. In the meantime, we are grateful to Caleb for supplying us with updates on your behalf! You must be very proud of him!

Linda W.
            Linda
            Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
            S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
            Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
            Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Brynn Goes Home Saturday!

Hello NSF friends:

A quick update as of Thurs. 5/31: Brynn is scheduled to come home on Saturday! She's been getting some physical therapy, and preparing for the outside world again -- her PT said he was impressed with how much mobility and strength she has already...Apparently more than most of the patients in the Rehab Hospital.

Thank you Suzy for doing such a great job of keeping the forum posted on my mom's progress! She is very grateful, and can't wait to get back on the forum herself...Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks also to those who have continued to post messages for Brynn -- I've been sharing them with her.

Best wishes,

Caleb

Comment

Thanks Caleb! That's terrific....I was a bit concerned about Brynn after her setback but I'm thrilled she's doing well. Tell her she's inspiring me!

Best wishes Brynn,
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thank you Caleb!! Congrats on the progress!!!! Woo-Hoo Brynn!!!

Ann
                  44 year old female
                  Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                  Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                  Posterior Only, 9 hours
                  Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                  Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Brynn -
                    You had the strength all along! Congratulations!

Comment

Well done!

Glad to hear you are getting better and stronger everyday! Haven't been on the forum for a while as recovering from my op, but have been thinking of you. I hope you get home soon.
                      Miranda

Comment

Working...
                      X