Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so scared

Hey Everyone,
    I'm scheduled for surgery in a few weeks and I'm so scared. I'm scared I am opening up a can of worms, like a life time of surgeries to fix or re align or whatever. I've never had a surgery a day in my life and I'm not in much pain right now. I feel like I've read a lot of posts on this forum and many people have had multiple surgeries. I'm 25, experience some back stiffness and I stretch and "pop" my back a lot, but I am very active and I'm so scared I'm going to be in so much pain and not going to do all of the things I like to do, especially softball and dance ever again. Can you really go back to softball and pilates and dance with rods in your back??

Any 20 somethings out there with some inspiring stories?? I need to know that my life isn't going to be ruined. I know that in all seriousness, I will probably be worse off if I don't get the surgery but I am so scared that I am going to lose so much of my life by having the surgery.

I am probably just freaking myself out but if anyone wants to share their positive recoveries I would love to hear about them.

Thanks so much
    Sonia
    58*
    Surgery 6/29/07
    T3-L4

Hello

Im not in my 20s yet, but i can tell you that you can do everything athletic (except bungee jump) after about 12 months of the surgery.

Plus there's nothing to worry about. This option of surgery is great. I have NO regrets
    2I found out I had scoliosis when i was 10, in 2003.
    T= 61 degrees L=35 degrees,
    six months later it became
    T=76 degrees L=42 degrees.
    I've worn a back brace and have had a Spinal Fusion.
    Scary!

Comment

Hey! I'm 19 years old and my surgery is scheduled for June 5th. My lumbar curve is 54 degrees and I'm gonna be fused from T4 to L4 or L5. I know exactly how you feel, it's really scary. I'm in college right now and I sometimes wonder if my surgery is going to prevent me from doing normal college type activites. But I also know that life is what you make of it. I'm sure our lives won't be ruined. Plus we're both young, so we should bounce back more quickly as opposed if we waited 'til we're older. My surgeon also told me that having an active lifestyle after the operation would not only be possable, but is essential in actually feeling better. Good luck on your surgery.

Comment

Sonia,

I just had surgery on April 16th at the age of 26. I understand your fears, as I was the filled with anxiety for months before my surgery. If you look at some of my previous posts you will see just how frightened I was - and also reap the advice of all the sweet people who replied to my posts with amazing answers and inspiration.
        Feel free to private message me with any questions or concerns you may have, and I will do my best to help you through this.

Comment

Sonia,

I had my surgery when I was 13. I'm now 38 years old. I was told that after the recovery period I would have no restrictions except horseback riding. I've done sports, danced, roller coasters, ice skating, etc. The only problem I've had is limited flexibility. I had a double S curve (don't know what locations) but my rod/fusion starts between my shoulder blades and goes almost all the way down to my tailbone. I don't think I had enough flexibility to do gymnastics, but I never really tried because I wasn't interested. You find ways to compensate without even realizing it. In my case, a coworker once asked my why my shoelaces were tied more towards the inside of my foot rather than centered on top. I had never even noticed. When she asked me I realized it was because I can't reach to tie them from overhead. I always sit and cross my ankle over the opposite thigh and tie it from the side. You just automatically learn to adjust and it doesn't really affect your life.

I think the best thing you can do is get yourself into the best possible shape before surgery. Based on your particular surgery, your doctor can suggest the best possible exercise regime to follow after recovery. I would recommend staying in shape. I gained weight after an unrelated heart surgery in 2000, and I started having back pain and less flexibility. So far I've been able to manage it with massages and the occasional ibuprofen. I've recently started a new diet and exercise program and hope to see an improvement.

I found this forum yesterday while trying to research whether yoga was an option for me. I came across an old post by doing a search on the word "difficulties". One of the threads was about problems people were having after 25 years of having the rods put in. You might want to take a look at it if you haven't already. There is no way that surgery isn't going to affect your life, but you can minimize the effect and be aware of issues that may come up down the road, keeping in mind that the technology has improved and some of those issues may not be a factor anymore. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks so much! I feel much better, it kind of comes in waves. One minute I'm freaking out...the next I'm rocky and eye of the tiger is playing in my head and all i can think about is getting thru it successfully!!
            Sonia
            58*
            Surgery 6/29/07
            T3-L4

Comment

just had surgery

If you have not read Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster by Peggy Huddleston; you should read it. It has a CD that helps relax your mind and body. I used this several weeks before my surgery on May 14, 2007 and I truly feel great. This book calmed my nerves and I truly belief I am recovering faster because I read that book. At the back of the book it there are a few fill in the blank pages to complete and give to your surgon. I took a risk and asked my doctor to read these to me when I was in recovery and I woke up feeling at peace. (He did follow through and read them to me.)

Best of luck!

It will be ok.

Kari

Comment

My daughter started back in dance 6 months after her surgery. The past two years, she danced every day at school and one afternoon a week at a studio. She was named Senior Dancer of the Year for her school (a performing arts school) and danced in 3 recitals this spring. she is just 3 years post-op. She does ballet, modern and jazz. Dance has helped her recovery by strengthening her back muscles. Granted some days she is sore, but she just takes ibuprofen and rests. By the next day she feels better. You will have some pain post-op, that is normal with any surgery. Don't worry about it. Learn to relax your body and you can control a lot of the pain without medicine.
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
                X