few questions about surgery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• few questions about surgery...

i go back to my doctor june 11th and if i get worse i`m getting surgery.

anywaysss...

do you have to wear a brace after surgery?

how long do people normally stay out of school?

are there any sports you can't return to after?

please answer these if you can. although theres about a million more questions i have this is all i can think of right now.

oh and one more thing!

if you had surgery;; do you regret having it? or has it been a good thing for you?
    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Hello! I've had the surgery to fix my double curve and i have absolutely NO regrets!! The surgery has been the best option i've made in my life.

1. No, you don't have to wear a brace after the surgery. Only if you really have to, but its not that common.

2. Three/Four months. Its up to you. If you feel you're not ready or still in pain, then don't go.

3.After about a year you can pretty much do anything - except bungee jumping. Yep! It's dangerous if you have rods in your back. Its not a huge set-back.

Remember, like any operation you'll have in your life, there's gonna be some pain. That was the only negative throughout the entire thing.

Hope that helps! If you want me to answer any other questions i'd be happy to.
    2I found out I had scoliosis when i was 10, in 2003.
    T= 61 degrees L=35 degrees,
    six months later it became
    T=76 degrees L=42 degrees.
    I've worn a back brace and have had a Spinal Fusion.
    Scary!

Comment

My daughter is over two years post-op and I asked her many times if she regretted having her surgery and her answer is always NO. I feel the same way.

To answer your questions:
      -Do you have to wear a brace after surgery: most kids don't, but I know several that have had to wear a brace and usually they only wear it for a few months.
      -How long do people normally stay out of school: my daughter returned to school 1/2 days at about four weeks post-op and full days at six weeks. Some kids are out for maybe two months, but three/four months would be the exception.
      -Are there any sports you can't return to: most doctors say no contact sports, like football, but most kids are able to return to soccer and things like between six months and a year.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the 11th.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

hiya, yes some people have to wear a brace after surgery. It depends on the type of surgery and the surgeon really. I have too.

I was out of school for 5 weeks, they usually say 4-6 weeks after the op but it depends on the person

umm basically i think no high impact sports for a year really. i think swimming and stuff is ok after 6 months though

i had surgery about 2 months ago. im still not sure if i regret it. This is probly becuase im in a brace now and cant stand it!!! but i have some before and after pics if you wanna see them. I no it looks much better, im like 2 1/2 inches taller, i lost some weight and im gonna have a nice stright back for the rest of my life! so these are a few postives to look for!!

wish yu well xx
        XxX..SaRaH..XxX

Comment

i was wondering the same things,
          can you horseback ride after surgery?

Comment

Everyone else has done a good job answering those questions so I'm just going to address the one about horseback riding.

That was my most important question because I love horses and riding. There really isn't one correct answer because it depends if your doctor considers it a contact sport or not (it is if you fall). The majority of doctors will tell you that you can back to riding after 1 year and a few will say after 6 months. My doctor told me that I shouldn't ever ride again but he said it's up to me. At my 6 month post-op appointment he said that I was fully fused and could go back to any non-contact sports. When I explained how much I loved riding he said that I could go back to it after six months if I only do it every once in a while (only a couple times a month), if I was careful about the horse I rode and I don't do any jumping. I'm 7 months post-op now but I haven't started riding again just because I haven't had time to start physio yet and I want to strengthen my muscles first. It's been really hard going without riding but I want to be smart about it and not risk having to have another surgery. Hopefully I'll be able to start in a couple months and I will go back to jumping eventually but I am always going to be careful about the horse I ride (no more training any green horses!) So you should talk to your doctor and discuss it with your parents because it's up to you to be smart about it.

Comment

i hope this helps

hiya,
              i had my surgery 9 years ago with no complications. i hope i can answer a few questions... no, i don't regret my surgery. In my case i didn't have an option but still would rather the operation than an obvious curve. Also my scar looks brilliant and did very quickly. Don't worry about it, it makes you different from everyone else. I'm proud of mine so i don't try and hide it. I was off school for about six months full time and then went back part time. I got home tuition during it so didn't miss out.
              We're meant to avoid contact sports, but personally my operation hasn't held me back, i have abseiled and done a sky dive too! Totally against everything the surgeons told me to ever do. Everyone is different, and you'll know your own capabilities.
              Oh, i didn't have to wear a brace afterwards either.
              If you've anymore questions i'd be happy to help.
              Good Luck
              Last edited by NiciMac; 01-04-2008, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X