Does Shriners treat all types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Shriners treat all types?

Hello everyone. We just found out our 11 yo daughter needs surgery for scoliosis. Her curves are 58 degrees and 60. We have insurance, but it's not that great. Someone suggested Shriners, but I was under the impression they only treated scoliosis patients if the scoliosis was secondary to something else, like cerebral palsy. I know they do excellent work, but we have an appointment with a surgeon next week to schedule her surgery, and I am afraid to delay things if Shriners wouldn't take her anyway. Any advice? I have already learned so much on here. Thanks in advance!!

I think what you heard about Shriners is not true. My daughter has scoliosis only and she has an evaluation appointment at Shriners LA on June 21st. I would definitely call them - their numbers are listed on the website. We only had to do a minor amount of paperwork and they actually scheduled her quickly - I ended up moving the appointment out 3 weeks because of school but she was originally scheduled to be seen within 3 weeks of doing the application.

Comment

Momcraft,

What you heard about Shriners is NOT true - they will definitely treat your child - the only criteria to be accepted are:

1. that the child be under 18 years of age

2. that the child has a condition that Shriners can help (scoliosis is DEFINITELY one of them).

Please feel free to e-mail me if you need any further information.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I had surgery right before my 19th birthday at Shriners Hospital in Greenville, SC and I don't have any other health issues besides scholiosis. They usually have very good doctors but if you already have an appointment somewhere, my advice would be to go ahead and get that opinion and then get a 2nd opinion from Shriners. Of course, Shriners will be completely free. Overall I'd say Shriners is an excellent hospital system although I'm not sure if they handled my case as well as younger patients as far as pain management. The older you are the more pain you will have and they managed me the same way they would a younger person. But I definitely would recommend them, just make sure you're well-informed before you go through with the surgery, no matter where it is.

Good luck!
        { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
        One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
        March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Working...
        X