Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgery in August/bending x-rays necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in August/bending x-rays necessary?

Hi everyone,

I just had an appointment with a second surgeon, Dr. Wagner of University of Washington in Seattle. He has recommended surgery for my 52' thoracic curve, just as my first-opinion-surgeon did. I had lots of questions for him, and after he left the room, I realized we hadn't talked about bending x-rays. I talked with the patient care coordinator afterwards, and asked her; she apparently went to talk with Dr. Wagner or his assistant, and I was told no, no more x-rays, I was free to go.

Is that something I need to push for more information on? Are they a necessary part of this surgery? Or are they maybe something I will have once my surgery date gets closer?

I want to chime in my thankfulness for this site also, and I know I'll be utilizing it a LOT in the months to come. Thank you everyone!
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

You'll probably get them when you set the date. The bending films are to give the surgeon an idea of the kind of correction he/she can get during the surgery. Hope this helps.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Hi Geo,

I don't remember when I got my bending xrays, but my Dr. said they showed him how flexible each of my curves were. And like Ann said, it gives then an idea of the correction they might get.

When I look at my bending xrays, compared to what I look like now after surgery, it is very similar.

Shari

Comment

Thank you Ann and Shari,

I was setting my surgery date with the patient care coordinator for August 15, I guess that's why I was confused that there was never mention of bending x-rays. Also, I was told that I wouldn't need to come back down (from Alaska to Seattle) until the week of my surgery. They told me I'd meet with the anesthesiologist on Monday, Dr. Wagner on Tuesday, and have the surgery on Wednesday.

It doesn't seem like bending x-rays are a part of the plan at this point. Do some surgeons just not use them?
        31 year old female
        55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
        T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
        Xray, 3 mos. post-op
        Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Hi Geo,

Maybe because of your age, you are more flexible and may not need them. Just a guess!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
          X