Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Recommended Today

Hi everyone

I just had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon a few hours ago. He measured my x-rays and found my curve to be 47 degrees. I am obviously showing signs of progression so he recommended that I have the surgery done within the next 2 years. I've been waiting for a doctor to tell me this for about 3 years now. It's strange that the time has finally come. I'm in college full time and I'm trying to figure out if I should wait until after I graduate (Dec 2008) to have the surgery done or wait until next summer. Any suggestions? I'm going to see him in 6 months with new x-rays to see if the progression has increased. In a way I'm relieved, yet kind of scared. I have some time though before I get this done. For those of you who have had surgery, would you do it again and would you recommend it for someone else who has pain and progression?

Thanks!
    Last edited by briarrose; 05-23-2007, 10:20 PM.
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Hi Briarrose,
    I had no bad pain prior to surgery. I felt more pressure of my body being compressed with lose of height & all.
    I have no regrets in having the surgery at all. I am so much better off now. My curve was 95 prior to surgery. At your age, recovery should be fairly fast compared to an oldie like me....Lynne

fused T-11 to L-5...

Comment

Hi Lynne

Thanks for your encouraging response. My curve is nothing compared to what yours was! How much height did you gain? I'm really looking forward to being a little bit taller because I'm only 5 foot 3 now. Were you nervous about the surgery? I'll be fused, most likely, from T2-L1. Did you have a thoracoplasty done? My doctor said he does them but doesn't recommend them because it can cause lung complications. I'd like to have it done, but since I have asthma, it may not be a good idea.
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Briarrose, I had the surgery at 27 years old (in 1981 w/harrington rod). I had suffered w/pain for so many years (can't remember my childhood w/o pain) so I was certainly happy that someone could help me. I do have pain now - as many do with this type of rod - but would do it again if I had to. I gained 3 inches in height and have a great waistline still! My curve was 62/32 and was only corrected to 45/? after surgery but it stopped the pain. I highly recommend it. Good luck! LYNN
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacque's Mom
          Briarrose, I had the surgery at 27 years old (in 1981 w/harrington rod). I had suffered w/pain for so many years (can't remember my childhood w/o pain) so I was certainly happy that someone could help me. I do have pain now - as many do with this type of rod - but would do it again if I had to. I gained 3 inches in height and have a great waistline still! My curve was 62/32 and was only corrected to 45/? after surgery but it stopped the pain. I highly recommend it. Good luck! LYNN
          That's so cool that you gained 3 inches and that your pain went away!!! I'm hoping for both those things, but I'm guessing I'll only be 1-2 inches taller. It's nice to know that you still have a good waistline too. I'm looking forward to having an even waistline. My one side looks great, but the other, not so great.

Thanks for your encouraging words!

Shell
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2

Comment

I hear ya Shell! I'm excited about having a real waistline too. Gotta keep our heads up and minds on the small positive things about this huge surgery (although those are not the reasons to have surgery, of course)!

Best,
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Anya

When is your surgery?

Does anyone know if you can still ride roller coasters after surgery?

Shell
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2

Comment

If it is a kiddy roller coaster, its ok. Most are labeled not for people with back problems. It is like being in a car accident, your back cannot absorb the shock once you have had a fusion. You don't bend in that area and above and below the fusion will take the brunt of the force.
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Shell (and others),

My surgery is on June 5th - a week from Tuesday! Eeeeek. I'm keeping my schedule very busy and heading out of town for a few days. I can't believe I'm actually doing this after so many years, but it will give me a better quality of life, and hopefully let me do things I haven't been able to do.

I just can't wait for it to be all over and to be on the road towards recovery. I know it is going to be difficult though.

Best,
                  Anya
                  "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                  Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                  19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I hope it goes well Anya! Let us all know how it goes. You must be nervous. I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Roller coasters are my absolute favorite thing. Maybe I won't get surgery after all. Haha.
                    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                    2003- 33 degrees
                    2005- 37 degrees
                    2006- 44 degrees
                    May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                    Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose
                      I hope it goes well Anya! Let us all know how it goes. You must be nervous. I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Roller coasters are my absolute favorite thing. Maybe I won't get surgery after all. Haha.
                      I know same here. :[ I blame Kingda ka for worsening my curve though, ha.

anyway, your pretty much in the same situation as me. I'm 20 and I found out over the past summer that I will be needing surgery. Last august I was measured at a 50 degree curve. I'm also in college and have severe asthma (so most likely will not be having the thoro becuase the whole idea scares me, although my asthma doctor said it should not be a problem)

When I was told last summer I was also relieved, but very frightened at the same time. Even though I knew what he was going to say, it was quite surreal to hear it.

I still have not had the surgery yet because I am in school and keep post-poning the visit back to the doctor, but I think in your case, as mine, it is very important to get it done as soon as you can. I can even sense a difference in my back from last summer. And I regret not already having the surgery done already. It's better to get it out of the way as soon as you can, I think.

It's much easier to recuperate from such a major surgery at a young age like ours (and while the curve is still not too drastic) than to wait untill the curve is extremely severe.

Comment

Originally posted by treacherous
                        I know same here. :[ I blame Kingda ka for worsening my curve though, ha.

anyway, your pretty much in the same situation as me. I'm 20 and I found out over the past summer that I will be needing surgery. Last august I was measured at a 50 degree curve. I'm also in college and have severe asthma (so most likely will not be having the thoro becuase the whole idea scares me, although my asthma doctor said it should not be a problem)

When I was told last summer I was also relieved, but very frightened at the same time. Even though I knew what he was going to say, it was quite surreal to hear it.

I still have not had the surgery yet because I am in school and keep post-poning the visit back to the doctor, but I think in your case, as mine, it is very important to get it done as soon as you can. I can even sense a difference in my back from last summer. And I regret not already having the surgery done already. It's better to get it out of the way as soon as you can, I think.

It's much easier to recuperate from such a major surgery at a young age like ours (and while the curve is still not too drastic) than to wait untill the curve is extremely severe.
                        You're right about getting the surgery done sooner rather than later. I talked with my advisor at school yesterday and he thought I should get it done next May and not worry about an internship.

When do you think you'll have the surgery done? It's nice to know someone else has asthma on here. Though asthma is NEVER fun. I have moderate asthma. I usually end up on prednisone once or twice a year and I take Advair. I used to take Singulair and that worked great for me. I rarely had an asthma attack but it made me hallucinate so I had to stop.

Do you live in New Jersey? I'm from PA. I got on King Da Ka about 2 years ago. Great ride! Roller coasters have never hurt my back though. I can see not being able to ride the wooden ones after surgery but the newer ones are so smooth with little to no jarring. I'll talk to my doctor about it.

Good luck!

Shell
                        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                        2003- 33 degrees
                        2005- 37 degrees
                        2006- 44 degrees
                        May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                        Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose
                          You're right about getting the surgery done sooner rather than later. I talked with my advisor at school yesterday and he thought I should get it done next May and not worry about an internship.

When do you think you'll have the surgery done? It's nice to know someone else has asthma on here. Though asthma is NEVER fun. I have moderate asthma. I usually end up on prednisone once or twice a year and I take Advair. I used to take Singulair and that worked great for me. I rarely had an asthma attack but it made me hallucinate so I had to stop.

Do you live in New Jersey? I'm from PA. I got on King Da Ka about 2 years ago. Great ride! Roller coasters have never hurt my back though. I can see not being able to ride the wooden ones after surgery but the newer ones are so smooth with little to no jarring. I'll talk to my doctor about it.

Good luck!

Shell
                          Yeah, I went on king da ka last year...As well as El Toro. .
                          Either way...I really will miss roller coasters.

My asthma kind of sounds like yours, although it USED to be very bad. I take advair and am supposed to take singulair but I don't because it literally does NOTHING for me and I think it's just un-needed medicine and I don't want the side effects. I feel/breathe the same way without it.

I usually do get sick a few times a year and end up on prednisone (which softens your bones btw....probably affects progression of scoliosis) or albuteral (yay for hallucination, ha) as well.

I'm not sure when I will have my surgery though. I was told I would need surgery last august and planned to have it this past May - that way I could recooperate throughout the summer months and then return to school in the fall hopefully, but I still have not found a surgeon me/my mom agree on...so we are still searching. Do you know of any good surgeons in the NYC/PA area?

Are you getting posterior or anterior? The one surgeon I have seen leaned more toward anterior but anterior scares me since they have to deflate a lung...and I have asthma and all.

Comment

treacherous,

I still have not found a surgeon me/my mom agree on...so we are still searching. Do you know of any good surgeons in the NYC/PA area?

Are you getting posterior or anterior? The one surgeon I have seen leaned more toward anterior but anterior scares me since they have to deflate a lung...and I have asthma and all.
                            Dr. Boachie in NYC is great - there are many on this forum who have been operated on by him - do a search to see the many comments.

Anterior is done either by one open incision on the side with no lung deflation or by thoracoscopic release, which does require lung deflation. A pulmonary function test and an examination by a pulmonologist will reveal whether the lung deflation is appropriate.
                            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Originally posted by treacherous
                              Yeah, I went on king da ka last year...As well as El Toro. .
                              Either way...I really will miss roller coasters.

My asthma kind of sounds like yours, although it USED to be very bad. I take advair and am supposed to take singulair but I don't because it literally does NOTHING for me and I think it's just un-needed medicine and I don't want the side effects. I feel/breathe the same way without it.

I usually do get sick a few times a year and end up on prednisone (which softens your bones btw....probably affects progression of scoliosis) or albuteral (yay for hallucination, ha) as well.

I'm not sure when I will have my surgery though. I was told I would need surgery last august and planned to have it this past May - that way I could recooperate throughout the summer months and then return to school in the fall hopefully, but I still have not found a surgeon me/my mom agree on...so we are still searching. Do you know of any good surgeons in the NYC/PA area?

I've never been on El Toro. I'll have to before I have the surgery done! I'm going to Dorney Park next week.

My asthma was horrible as a kid. I was in and out of the hospital all the time until I was 10. I've been close to going to the hospital in the past few years, but thank goodness for prednisone. It never occurred to me that the prednisone could have caused my curve to worsen. How many days are you usually on it? My doctor usually puts me on for 14 days starting at 50mg, but I'm bad and cut back the dosage and days. Too bad prednisone is bad for you. I always feel so great on it.

As Janet said, I've heard a lot of great things about Dr. Boachie. My aunt had surgery done by Dr. Albert at the Rothman Institute in Philly. She really liked him and thinks he's an excellent surgeon. I'm seeing Dr. Fras at the University of Pennsylvania. He's really nice and seems to like to talk with his patients. He said he can get me really straight, probably less than 10 degrees. Those are the only doctors I know of in the Philly/NYC area. I saw a doctor in Hershey, but that's probably too far for you.

Anterior really scares me too. I didn't ask my doctor whether it would be anterior or posterior. I'm hoping posterior. I'll have to ask him when I go back in December.

Where do you go to college? What's your major?

Shell
                              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                              2003- 33 degrees
                              2005- 37 degrees
                              2006- 44 degrees
                              May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                              Fused T1 to L2

Comment