Surgery completed on 5/14/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery completed on 5/14/07

Ok everyone. I'm home from the hospital. I had my surgery on Monday 5/14. T5 to L4. I've asked for digitized xrays so if I get them I'll be sure to share!

I'm not going to say much about the surgery here. I believe it was a success and so do my doctors...however, I have mixed emotions about the entire process.

I didn't expect to be home so soon, but they really didn't have a good reason to keep me since I was up using the walker and taking care of myself (although VERY weak).
    They told me to take it very easy.

Anyway, I just wanted to say HI and let everyone know I pulled through OK.

Thanks for all of the prayers and well wishes....

Lori
    37 yr old female
    5/14/07: Spinal fusion w/Titanium implants to correct 80 degree curves - T5 to L4
    7/30/07: Revision to remove screw from T12 that is abutting spinal cord

Wow,that was quick! Welcome back and rest up. Hope you have a smooth and uneventful recovery.

Best,
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Lori,

I'm very happy for you that you successfully made it through your surgery and can now concentrate on your recovery. I would be interested in hearing about your mixed emotions about the whole process.

I saw my PCP the other day and I was rather dismayed by his whole take on this surgery. While he did not come right out and advise me agaisnt it, when I told him that I am encouraged when I hear of people who are pleased with the results and glad they decided to have surgery, he just advised me to talk to people who are 10 to 20 years post-op.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Chris

Comment

Chris....I have to chirp in that I will take 10 to 20 years!!!!
        I personally, was so deformed and in such bad shape that I thank God & my wonderful surgeon every day when I wake up!!!! I don't know what the future may bring but I made the decision to have this major surgery. It has already given me a better life! Who knows how long I will live or what's to come down the road. I make each & every day count for there are no guarantees in life! My quality of life is so much better now! Ly

Comment

Hi,

Just wanted to congratulate you on being home already I hope you have a very smooth recovery and that all goes well. Take care
          Nadia
          I'm 19
          Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 16
          Curves as of June 2006: 48T & 40L
          Curves as of June 2007: 52T & 43L
          Surgery date: June 18, 2007
          "A smile is a curve that can straighten out anything"

Comment

he just advised me to talk to people who are 10 to 20 years post-op.

he just advised me to talk to people who are 10 to 20 years post-op.
            chriswbs

Chris:

I had an old form of scoliosis surgery 40+ years before my revision; I was able to work at jobs in the healing professions (registered nurse and later nurse-anesthetist) which involved continuous standing. I did extremely well for those years and only lost the correction because I had no hardware. I did not have pain most of those years and my first real symptom of trouble was shortness of breath due to the increasing curve. The present day techniques are FAR better than what I had in 1956. Going to a physician not well versed in scoliosis is like going to an empty well for water.

My personal physician was no help; I didn't even ask him. I decided to talk to those who had "walked the walk". I even recently met a physician who said persons over 18 were never operated on for scoliosis!!! I told him to throw out his old texbook!!!
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

My opinion, and I've said this before, I'll take pain free from 1981 to 1997 in a heartbeat. I suffered from pain most of my childhood until 27 years old. If I didn't have that surgery, there is no way I would have been able to have our beautiful daughter. Granted I do suffer now (but with a wonderful pain management doctor am able to go on). What choice did I have - either suffer and get so much worse and be so depressed or take the chance, have the surgery and have 16 good years of pain free life. Yes it was disappointing when I started to have pain again but this is what I was given; this was the choice I made and so glad I did. Take care, LYNN
              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
              2000 Partial Rod Removal
              2001 Right Scapular Resection
              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Chris,

I've spoken to two ladies in my area: one who had surgery about 12 years ago. She had told me she has had no problems, and in fact, just had her first baby a few months ago. The other woman had surgery about 20 years ago. I've spoken to her quite a few times and she has always said to this day she has not had any significant problems. She has 3 children and is a teacher, so she is on her feet alot. I am not trying to sway you either way, it's just the dr. you are referring to sounds very negative. Best wishes to you -

Lori,

Congratulations on a successful surgery. I hope your recovery goes well.

Renee

Comment

Working...
                X