Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any questions I should ask my Doctor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any questions I should ask my Doctor??

Is there anyquestions i should ask my Doctor about the surgery? I'm kinda confused about what to ask him when i go back to see him on the 13th of June. Its mainly about the surgery though. I was told that I'll need to seperate operations due to me having the 'S' curve.

What were the questions you asked your doctor about the operation??
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

The one question I wish I had thought to ask on my surgeon interviews is “How many of your patients have had to require additional surgery?” I was recently put in touch with a 55-year-old woman who had surgery back in 1973 with the old Harrington rod instrumentation. Her surgeon was Ronald DeWald in Chicago. Dr. DeWald is now retired and his son is in practice. Ronald DeWald was considered the best. This woman told me she has encountered absolutely no problems over the years. Her entire spine is fused and she leads an active lifestyle and has no pain whatsoever. My opinion is that if it’s done right the first time, in the majority of cases there should be no need for further surgery.

Chris

Comment

Hi Jacinta, I am compiling a list of questions, will send soon
      Gen
      Gen, aged 49
      Thoracic curve approx 64*
      Surgery starts 25 June (anterior), posterior 2 wks later (T5 - L1)
      Surgeon: Peter Turner

Comment

Think of practical things...how long in the hospital, how long of a recovery, when can I drive, any limitations, will I need help around the house, how many rods will he use, will I need a brace after surgery, will he use donor bone or take a bone graph from me, what should I take to the hospital. Start writing them down and keep the list with you at all time so that if you think of another question, you can write it down right away.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks all. I was kind of stuck for what questions to ask my surgeon/doctor. he just said that if i have any questions to write them down and ask him when i go back.
          2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Working...
          X