Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery completed!

Hello to all of Brynn's wonderful NSF friends:

This is Brynn's son, Caleb, with an update on her progress.

On Tuesday (5/15) Brynn underwent over 11.5 hours of surgery (anterior and posterior correction ~T10 - L4) -- she is now a bionic woman with a straight back! The doctors said they achieved more correction than they had initially anticipated. She went from a L curve of around 60 degrees to under 25 degrees.

Now comes Brynn's long healing journey. She has been in the ICU since surgery. Within 8 hours the docs took her off of heavy sedation/breathing machine and have been largely successful at finding the right dose of pain meds. She has pain, but it has been manageable. She looks surprisingly good for someone who just underwent such a long surgery, and is already eating and drinking, speaking lucidly (including a sense of humor that keeps nurses on their toes), and sitting up with assistance. The only complication thus far has been some weakness in her left arm, between her shoulder and elbow. An MRI showed this was not a neurological condition, and would soon pass - she has been doing some strengthening exercises, and I already see a difference. Brynn will likely get to leave the ICU tonight and go to her own room!

Thank you for all of your wonderful e-mails! I read them to her today in the ICU and they made her feel great. Your collective positive thoughts have certainly helped her make it through this.

I am impressed with members of this forum for being so supportive of one another. It is also a great place to get information for people going through the experience.

When I was 14 years old, I also had spinal fusion (T6-T11; Harrington Procedure) for scoliosis at San Diego Childrens Hospital. It was a difficult thing for a kid to go through, but I had the support of my mom, family, and friends. Now, 18 years later, I am active, healthy, and have had little complications from my surgery.

I will continue to post updates as Brynn progresses. She will be back on-line as soon as she can.

Brynn sends her best wishes and gratitude!

-Caleb

Thanks Caleb on the update on your mother. Thats fantastic that she is doing so well. Please let her know we are thinking of her.

Now its all over she only has recovery left take each day slowly.

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you Caleb! Tell Brynn we're thrilled that she's doing well and got such a great correction. She's an inspiration to those of us who nervously await our turn.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks for the report..

Gosh, that's good news ! what's really neat is to hear about both mother and son's good progress ! keep us posted... Lisa

this is a weird question, but how do they MRI someone, with all those tubes and hoses, that can't even walk?
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Wonderful! We've been thinking about her. I bet she is glad she has you to help out. Congrats on doing so well with the fusion yourself!

Best,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Great news!! That's awesome that Brynn already is eating & drinking.
            Thank you Caleb for letting us know how she is doing.
            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Hi Caleb,

Thanks for the update!!! Your mother has not only been blessed with a good outcome with her surgery, but obiviously having such a loving and caring son!!!

This is a surgery that seems to be as hard on the people that love us as it is on us. She will be so proud when she see's what strength, courage, concern, compassion and intellegence you have exibited here for all of us wondering about her.

Keep us informed and you should be proud of yourself!!!

Shari

Comment

Yes, she's lucky to have you! Take good care of her.
                Gen, aged 49
                Thoracic curve approx 64*
                Surgery starts 25 June (anterior), posterior 2 wks later (T5 - L1)
                Surgeon: Peter Turner

Comment

Caleb,

Thanks for updating us. I am glad to hear Brynn's surgery went so well. She sounds like she is doing as well as could be expected. My son had spinal fusion surgery at Childrens Hosp. not that long ago...it is encouraging to hear how well you are doing so many years post-op. Say hello to your mom-

Renee

Comment

Thanks for the update on your mom. Hope her recovery goes smoothly and without a hitch. She's very fortunate to have such a caring son looking after her.

Best,

Chris

Comment

Yea.......now she's on the other side!! I am so happy your mom did well and her correction is so great!! Thanks, Caleb, for keeping us updated and give her my love and support. Tell her I'm 7 weeks post op now and sitting here emailing in my brace. You saw my before and after photos and I can't wait to see hers. Tell Brynn I thought about her all day on the 15th. I can't wait to her from her often, as she heals. Keep us updated!
                      Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Yes it's over, call it a day........

Hi Caleb,
                        Tell your Mom I said welcome to the club! She told me you would be keeping us updated and I am so glad you are able to.

You having gone through the surgery gives you an insight like none other. You are more valuable to her then you know. Please tell her how much we are all rooting for her to have a pleasant recovery and looking forward to her posting her experience. The good, bad and the funny! The correction she got is wonderful, I am so happy for her!

She is fused the exactly like I am, we're twins! I will be in touch via e-mail. Best wishes and love, Suzy

Comment

Caleb:

Thank you so much for the update. I didn't read Brynn's post about the operation until after she went in. So, I have been holding my breath and waiting for the good news! I am so thrilled for her. Please let her know that she has been in my thoughts daily and I am so happy for her correction and that the surgery is finally over for her! It is a long and hard recovery from this surgery, but at least she is on the road to recovery instead of waiting for the procedure. Please, give her my best and let her know that I really miss her posts.

Ann
                          44 year old female
                          Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                          Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                          Posterior Only, 9 hours
                          Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                          Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

That's wonderful news! Thank you for updating us.
                            Brandi
                            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                            L1-S1
                            Dr. William Lauerman
                            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X