Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm home!!!!!

Hi Everyone,
    It is all over and I am home! I can hardly believe it. I spent the first few days suddenly crying because I couldn't beleive I was home and the op was over.
    Well I have been home for a week now. I wanted to write earlier but getting used to my routine of basically doing not much and sleeping loads. So happy to be in my own bed.

Thank you for all your messages of love and support. My boyfriend printed them out so was able to read them while in hospital. It put a smile on my face.

I am now 1 inch and half taller and was able to see my xrays, which I also cried over. I couldn't believe how straight my spine was and even my lower lumbar curve looked less severe. I knew it had all been worth it and I had made the right decision.

I deff feel like I have a metal rod in my back, but generally pleased that I am not in agonizing pain but just feel v uncormfortable and extremly stiff.

How long were people on pain med? And when do you know to reduce the dosage??

For anyone having surgery the first time, my advice would be, the more you can read and understand scoliosis and the operation procedure the easier it will be. Mental preparation is key. Everything that happened to me I knew would, so I never felt scared.

The forum sell a book called 'Scoliosis Surgery, The Definitive patient's Reference' by David K. Wolpert. This book is fantastic not only for you but also for your family. It covers everything you need to know. I couldn't have got through this without this book and especially this forum.
    So thank you.

Look forward to hearing from you all and any great tips of life at home.
    I am planning to learn Spanish when I get a bit more energy.
    Miranda

Welcome Home!

Hi Miranda,

Welcome Home! Thanks for letting us all know that you are home and doing well. Glad to hear you are also an inch and a half taller. I am also one of those people who prefers to have the info straight up and not be surprised. My husband also read David Wolpert's book. We both found it to be an invaluable resource. I hope that both he and I will be better prepared to handle all that is to come.

Good luck on your Spanish studies. I have had only one previous surgical experience and the only thing I was able to handle during my recovery at that time was more along the lines of a Dot-to-Dot book or People Magazine!

Linda W.
    Linda
    Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
    S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
    Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
    Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Hi Miranda, glad to hear all went well, keep us posted on your progress. It sounds like you have

I have 6 weeks to go now, I'l try to get that book, thanks for the advice.
      Genevieve
      Gen, aged 49
      Thoracic curve approx 64*
      Surgery starts 25 June (anterior), posterior 2 wks later (T5 - L1)
      Surgeon: Peter Turner

Comment

Welcome home!

Glad to hear everything went well. I'm looking forward to hearing about your recovery. I'm going into surgery in just a few weeks and have read that book.

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
        X