Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I take to the hospital?

Hello everyone,

I'm having my surgery on Monday 5/14 and I'm unsure what to pack for the hospital stay.

My surgeon said that I'll be in the hospital at least 1 week, however I may end up staying another month for rehab.

I'm looking for advice on what to take to the hospital with me. I've packed the normal stuff...deoderant, toothbrush/paste, and hand lotion. And I think I read in another post that I should take wet wipes for cleaning up easily.

The nurse told me to bring slippers if I wanted them and a robe - but I'm not sure how much I'll be able to move around. Will I want to remain in a hospital gown or try to wear PJs? If I'm only in there a week do I really need a robe? (I did buy a short zip up housecoat type thing that I thought might work well).
    And what about underwear????

Also, what if I'm in there a month .... who does my laundry? lol.
    I live 3 hours from the hospital so it's not like my family can just swing by to drop off clean clothes.

I appreciate any advice!!

Lori
    37 yr old female
    5/14/07: Spinal fusion w/Titanium implants to correct 80 degree curves - T5 to L4
    7/30/07: Revision to remove screw from T12 that is abutting spinal cord

I always bring Johnson and Johnson disposable wash clothes for my son because the hospital one arnt soft and they smell.Maybe some of your favorite movies and games.

Comment

You'll find a helpful list here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

If you follow the link to my blog, I have a list on there that may help. The post is from a month+ ago, I believe.

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Get a pair of sneakers that are slid on for rehab. The housecoat with zipper is good. Also pants with a stretch waist and hoodie jackets, easy to get in & out of if you can't lift your arms. If you will be wearing a brace you'll need t-shirts to wear under the brace. For the hospital stay I wore the hospital gown.

To wash at the hospital I used baby disposal bath wash clothes and baby wipes, even better - no rinse- just wipe and dry.

Sue

Comment

Thanks everyone. I knew there were lists out there but was having a hard time locating them. I am worried that my family will be too far away to bring me anything that I forget/need.

I am 3 days from surgery and working hard to stay calm.

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas!

Lori
            37 yr old female
            5/14/07: Spinal fusion w/Titanium implants to correct 80 degree curves - T5 to L4
            7/30/07: Revision to remove screw from T12 that is abutting spinal cord

Comment

Good Luck, Lori!

Hi Lori,

This week I was able to tour the Ortho floor I will be on after surgery and speak with one of the charge nurses. She told me that for the first week, your needs will be few. You will be happy to wear a johnny because it will be easier and laundry will be a non issue. You may want your own toothbrush which will be of a better quality than hospital supply and favorite toothpaste as well as an iPod, family photo, phone numbers, chap stick, etc. and all of the suggestions made by the others who have responded. Make sure you lable EVERYTHING that you bring with your name -- just as if it were going to camp with one of your kids (including the ear plugs for your iPod and your glasses if you wear them)!

Try to take it easy this weekend and enjoy your time knowing that you have made the best decision possible based upon research and knowledge and that your surgery will soon be behind you and that your recovery will be the start of a new chapter in your life. I know lots of us will be sending positive energy and good wishes your way throughout the day on Monday. Good Luck and think TALLER!

Linda W.
              Linda
              Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
              S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
              Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
              Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Hey Lori,
                One of the best parts of my hospital stay was getting rid of the urine catheter and been told I could get in my own pj's and dump the hospital, annoying gown.
                So bring plenty of undies and soft pj's. I spent alot of time been sweaty, sorry, so needed nice change of clothes.
                Oh yeah and lovely fluffy socks was nice.
                I had so many cards and photos and magazines in my room one of the nurses said my room looked like her teenage daughters. I thought that was great. Least it looked more colourful! hee hee

You will be great. Stay strong and positive and calm.
                Look forward to hearing from you when you get home.
                Miranda

Comment

Working...
                X