Surgery in June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in June

I've just been given my dates, having 1st anterior operation on 25 June and posterior on 9 July. It is scary as it's less than 7 weeks away. If it wasn't for this site I'd be really freaked out now but am feeling ok now. Thanks everyone for all the help re living alone - all ideas gratefully accepted.
    Gen
    Gen, aged 49
    Thoracic curve approx 64*
    Surgery starts 25 June (anterior), posterior 2 wks later (T5 - L1)
    Surgeon: Peter Turner

Best of luck Gen. You'll do great. I know how you feel. I'm beginning to have more anxiety attacks now that it is under a month away.

Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadeinMelb
      I've just been given my dates, having 1st anterior operation on 25 June and posterior on 9 July. It is scary as it's less than 7 weeks away. If it wasn't for this site I'd be really freaked out now but am feeling ok now. Thanks everyone for all the help re living alone - all ideas gratefully accepted.
      Gen
      Hi Gen,

Well you finally have dates im sure your happy about that. June 25th was the other date i was going to have it i couldn't have it done on May 28th cos i wanted my surgery to be all at once i didn't want to have two done seperate.
      Anyway good luck let me know all details when you're closer.

Lee
      Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Gen,

I can't speak for everyone, but I was scared to death before my surgery!!! I can't even tell you how many negative thoughts that went through my head during the months prior to my surgery. It's a tough surgery to anticipate!!!

I found it hard, but just knew I had to stay strong. I think that that's what we women are very good at!!!

Even though you live alone, will you have anyone that can help you out at first??? Just curious???

Shari

Comment

Hi Shari, luckily for me i do have others around me. My other thread was really trying to get a feel for exactly how much do i need them. My 3 sisters are very helpful (although one is due for knee surgery soon). My nieces are keen to have me. Even my two brothers in law are very domesticated. And my Mum will be around. And there is even a male friend who likes driving and is quite attentive. So I'm not complaining - i could not really ask for more. It's just the planning - wondering if i should plan to be at their place or mine. I think I can spend more time in hospital rehab anyway.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.
          Gen
          Gen, aged 49

Comment

Hi Gen,

It it was me I would stay where you are most comfortable, as long as you have a support group that are willing to help you out where ever you decide to have your recovery. I felt more at ease being in my own home.

It's not an easy recovery, but being somewhere that you feel at ease takes some of the stress away.

You're lucky to have such a great support force behind you!!! Don't feel guilty for needing their help. That's what family and friends are for. They love you and they want to help you. Comfort and peace of mind helps in the recovery, and as long as you have people that are willing to come to where you are, take advantage of that.

Shari

Comment

Thanks Shari, you're right, I'm very lucky. Today was Mother's Day in Australia so they were all here, my Mum, sisters, husbands and kids, and helping me out. My BIL put up new blinds, my mum sneaked off to do some work in the garden and then did the dishes while my sisters gave me decorating advice. And I'm not even sick yet!
              Thanks for the support and advice
              Gen
              Gen, aged 49

Comment

Best of luck with your surgeries

Gen:

Best of luck with your surgeries. I'm anxiously awaiting my own (9/24/07). My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Ann
                44 year old female
                Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                Posterior Only, 9 hours
                Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

crunch time

Hi everyone, well it is crunch time for me, so to speak, as my first operation is tomorrow (anterior) with the posterior surgery in July.

Strangely I do not feel very nervous, quite elated in a way, which is wierd I know. The relief of winding up at work on Friday, for a few weeks at least, and getting heaps of organising done has been huge - and now I'm exhausted. At 10.00pm our time I still have to go and sort a few things. My family and friends have been very supportive. I couldn't really be better planned or organised so we'll just have to see how it all goes.

Thanks again to everyone for the support which has been the most important thing to me. I'll try to get back on line soon to give an update.

Love
                  Gen
                  Gen, aged 49

Comment

stay busy

it helps to accomplish things the day before, I was in a motel with my family and we had fun. let us know as soon as you can ! God bless and have a speedy recovery! lisa
                    Lisa age 47
                    T curve 69 degrees
                    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Hi everyone,
                      Well it is 12 days after my anterior release surgery and I'm going back for more on Monday! I cam home about day 8. Still have a lot of pain in the ribs. The trouble with having two operations is that although every day it gets a little bit better, you know you will be back to square 1 again soon - I just hope it is no worse than round 1.

I've been reading Lee's thread about the rib pain being the worst. Lee I'm sorry to hear you are feeling a bit blue. Hope you pick up soon. For my sake I do hope the back pain is no worse than the rib.

My sister and mother are looking after me. I don't believe I could even consider going home alone at this stage.

It is hard to get the right combination of meds, rest, exercise etc. Constipation is a problem. Each day there are a few moments when you actually feel good. They are rare. I feel like I'm always due for a lie down - like now.
                      Love
                      Gen
                      Gen, aged 49

Comment

Keep up the good work. I completely understand how you're feeling. Best of luck with your recovery.

Best,
                        Anya
                        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X