Discogram Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogram Results

I've been home a few days since my discogram and only just had the motivation to post here. I had one done 5 years ago and it was positive at L3-4 for pain. This time it was positive at L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1. I'm really bummed because I believe this means they will want to fuse to the sacrum. When I asked Dr. Shelokov about the reason for the discogram before he said that, if you aren't going to include the disc that is causing the pain in the fusion, then you might as well not do the fusion as you will still be in pain (as memory serves and, of course, just words like those - no quote). I was really hoping to be fused only to L3 or L4. So, I will probably be fused from T-2 or T-3 to the sacrum. I have twins that are only 17 months old and was really shooting to retain SOME mobility to chase after them.

Of those who have had a fusion that long, how has it affected your mobility? Can you still sit on the floor "cross-legged?" What about getting around after little ones? Thanks.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Hey Ann,
    It's just a fluke that I was browsing here today because my revision is tomorrow but God works in mysterious ways! I too have a 17 month old (only one though!) and I am fused from T3 through L4. You'll be fine. I have never missed not being able to bend at the waist at all. I bend at the hips so that is not problem what so ever.

If you are having surgery, you will need to line up some help with those babies. It is a long recovery in that you won't be up to chasing them around for a while and my doctor has told me that I am not going to be able to lift the baby for some time. I weighed the option of do I wait till she is a little older so that I may not need to lift her as much as now or if I do wait, she will just be heavier. You need to talk with your spouse and family/support system in choosing a surgery date. You will need a lot of help with the babies afterward. However, after a while, and since I don't know your age or condition I can't say how long it will be, you will be able to chase after them.

Comment

Not to get off subject Dalmatica- but why are you having a revision tomorrow? I'm scheduled for surgery on 5/14 for T4 to L4 and am very concerned about the outcome. And what is a discogram Houston Curves?
      37 yr old female
      5/14/07: Spinal fusion w/Titanium implants to correct 80 degree curves - T5 to L4
      7/30/07: Revision to remove screw from T12 that is abutting spinal cord

Comment

Fusion to the sacrum

Thank you so much Dalmatica. I appreciate the advise. I do know that I need to get this done, and it will be better once I heal - I am going to love being able to play with the girls and not be in pain. I was actually hoping that they would stop at L3 or L4, but they are going all the way to the sacrum. So, I'm worried about flexibilty and whether I will be able to sit on the floor with them in the playroom. One of my girls is special needs, and I need to be able to get on the floor to work on her therapy. Any suggestions or ideas?? Thanks.

Ann
        44 year old female
        Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
        Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
        Posterior Only, 9 hours
        Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
        Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Working...
        X