Brace Shirt for Summer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace Shirt for Summer???

Hi. My daughter wears a Boston Brace 16 hours each day. She wears the Boston T underneath. Her doctor recommended switching to Under Armour or something like it for the summertime since it would be cooler.

My problem is that she likes to wear tank tops but needs the axilla flap under one arm to keep the brace from rubbing against her armpit. He recommended short sleeve sports tops.

Does anyone know of a type or brand of sports tank top or camisole that is high enough under the armpit to serve as a protecting flap? Or do you have any other recommendations on what she can wear under her brace in the summer?

Thanks so much for your help.
    Karen

Brace shirt for summer

I hope you can find your daughter a tank that is comfortable and funtional. I an 42 and I had a different brace than your daughters. My brace was like your daughters except it had piece of alluminum that connected to the lower half and it was not very comfortable but I made the best of it. Nike makes sport tanks that are made of a material called Dri Max. I might of misspelled it but the material is comfortabe and you stay dry in it and helps the irritation caused by the plastic part of the brace when it is hot outside. I also taught aerobics for many years and the material works great. I dont know where you live but Nike has outlet stores that are much less expensive. I hope this helps. I wore a brace for like 4 years and I made the best of it. If you can join a YMCA or other health club that has an indoor pool she can be in the water and lose the brace for a couple more hours a day. I really can relate to this, If she needs any support email me back because when I said I made the best of it when I wore my brace I did just that, not a whole lot stopped me. Hope this helps

Barb

Comment

i use under armour, i find it very comfortable. i have one of the latest design. i'll send you a snap of it and show it to your daughter; she will really like it. don't worry i'll post it to you soon. i use free image hosting to post my snaps. i haven't yet uploaded my snaps on the other site. so please give me some time.

Comment

Summer Shirts

I wear a cheneau brace and this will be my first summer with it.. I really hope that I can live with the heat and i was wondering if anyone here knows what kind of shirt i can put under it that is not thick and won't make me sweat as much.

btw.. my site is http://www.myscoliosisstory.com --- check it out!
        My name is Rotem
        I am 13 and in 7th grade
        Started with 2 curves:
        34º Therotical
        50º Lumber
        I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
        Got my 1st on Nov. '06
        Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
        Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
        and im still trying to get used to it
        Hoping I won't need surgery
        I live in South Florida
        3rd check on November 17,2007,
        Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
        30º Theoratical
        37º Lumber
        4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

in the summer; what i do is that i dont go outside until its time to take off my brace.

although it ruined my summer last year; i would rather be nice and cool inside than overheating outside.
          i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

When my daughter wore her brace, she found that the Old Navy child size XL tank top (all colors) was great for wearing over her brace in the summer. It came up pretty high under the armpits & in the front, so it covered her brace pretty nicely. I wouldn't recommend the under the brace shirts that she wore. She came home drenched in them everyday...& they were supposed to have soaked up the perspiration (made of Cool Max material). I can't help you on that one, but do try the Old Navy tank tops.
            Good luck!
            Martha
            Mother of Laura, Age 19
            Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
            Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
            Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
            Fused T2-L2
            Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
            Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
            Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
            OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Brace Summer Shirts

thank you for your reply... i always wanted to wear it but since under the brace i need to wear a shirt, i dont think it will work for me... what kind of brace did she have??? and what did she wear under the brace that covered the bottom shirt??
              My name is Rotem
              I am 13 and in 7th grade
              Started with 2 curves:
              34º Therotical
              50º Lumber
              I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
              Got my 1st on Nov. '06
              Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
              Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
              and im still trying to get used to it
              Hoping I won't need surgery
              I live in South Florida
              3rd check on November 17,2007,
              Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
              30º Theoratical
              37º Lumber
              4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

These are some shirts I found at Target.com that might work with the brace. I wore a brace until I was 12 (21 now), and I believe these sorts might work. My main suggestion is something very, very thin beneath the brace, and an airy but thicker material top. Fortunately, a very popular style this summer is a fitted top strap, fitted bottom, and very loose middle somewhat like the middle link. Look for bunched material fitted areas, like a natural waist line, or the bottom of the shirt, so the stop doesn't look like a sack.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000NNTK3M

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000OCVFL2

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000O8W7OK

If I find more, I will post some links - let me know if these might work. The only reason I chose to look at Target was because I shop there a lot, there might be others similar at Macys, or Wal-Mart, or something.

-Stephanie

Comment

Working...
                X