One Year Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year Anniversary

Howdy everybody! I've officially been corrected for one year as of today. My apologies to everyone for seemingly dropping off the face of the earth. I figured ya'll would get bored reading "slowly getting better" every day, which after the first few weeks, pretty much summed up my daily reports. Then I got back to work, which was really hectic after 2 months off. Beyond that, well, we all know how life tends to impose itself on us. But enough excuses. Everything is pretty much back to normal. I still have a few spots of numbness (the hazards of being sliced into twice, I suppose). The insomnia tapered off a few weeks after my last post, and I've been sleeping like a baby since (well, occasionally like a freight train if you ask my wife, but I don't snore nearly as often as I used to). My appetite came back...with a vengeance. I put about 10 pounds back on. Thankfully, my doc said I could go back to the gym at the 6 month mark (no exercises that compress the spine, i.e. squats), which is helping me manage my weight and re-strengthen my muscles (especially the newly-positioned back ones). Feel free to ask questions (most will remember my candor), and I promise won't disappear again.
    Bryan

Corrected T4 to L4 in May 2006
    Thoracolumbar Curve
    Before 65 Degrees - After 26 Degrees
    Thoracic Curve
    Before 52 Degrees - After 25 Degrees

Hi Bryan,

Congratulations on doing well after a year. Nice to have you back among us.....I certainly DO remember your candor.... !
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Congratulations! I'm one year post op too! My how time flies. I feel great!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

No Squats??

Bryan- We've never "met"- I had surgery 5 months ago and feel like I am right on track. My question is-I do squats all the time to pick stuff up off the floor (bend at the knees while keeping my back straight)- is this bad?? I thought it was the only way to "go low" as opposed to trying to bend (which I can't anyway because I am fused T4-S1). Maybe I did not understand what you meant by squats-??
        Cathie

Comment

I can't wait untill I'm at the one year mark!! I'm just 5 1/2 weeks and still fresh and having those ups and downs. It's so hard to be patient!! I'm bored since standing and sitting only last short periods in comfort with my brace, and then I can't wait to take off my brace and lay flat, and then I get the real ho...hummms and feel lazy, so I get back up, put on my brace and get tired of being upright all over again! Is this normal?!! (and I'm "older", so slower!)

going crazy, berta
          Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Cathie - Sorry about the confusion. I'm referring to a weight lifting exercise in which you move just as you are describing, but with a weighted barbell on your shoulders, which builds the muscles in your upper legs, rear end, and lower back. However, it compresses the spine, which my doc said is a no-no right now. What you're doing is fine.

Berta - That sounds about right. You'll be surprised at how just sitting can completely wipe you out. The human body is a lousy multitasker, and right now almost all of its resources are going into healing your back. Don't let that lazy feeling trick you into pushing too hard. You may want to search this forum for "corkscrew" and look at my "We can rebuild him" thread. I posted regular updates as to what I was going through after my surgery.
            Bryan

Corrected T4 to L4 in May 2006
            Thoracolumbar Curve
            Before 65 Degrees - After 26 Degrees
            Thoracic Curve
            Before 52 Degrees - After 25 Degrees

Comment

Thanks Bryan!!

Comment

I have the same question as Cathie. I'm 8 weeks post-op. My doctor says I should avoid squating because it does put pressure on your spine....and I can feel it so I believe him. But it seems IMPOSSIBLE not to do this! I've rearranged my bedroom so that all my clothes are higher up and I have a grabber but there are just some things that you have to squat down for! My fiancée helps me but like I said, there's always something. I just hope I haven't done anything to hurt the fusion because this is my 2nd surgery and I don't want to do this again!!! Congrats Bryan on your one year! I can't wait to be there, again!

Also Bryan, what type of exercises were you able to do at 6 months?
                { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
                One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
                March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Hi Bryan,

Welcome back and congratulations on your recovery!!!

It's so great to have someone come back on here with a postitive outcome for the people that are anticipating this surgery. It is also great to hear from a man on this forum!!!

I'm sure that we females tend to take it over, but there are men here that need to hear from you!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                  X