Frustration with the Dr.'s Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustration with the Dr.'s Office

I'm a bit frustrated with my surgeon's office. I have asked four times (over a period of four months) to be put in touch with someone from his practice who has had a recent fusion. The secretary has told me that she would check with the doctor and get back to me. When I asked how many of these procedures he had done she seemed indignant and replied that he was the head of the spine unit and would not have gotten to this position if he didn't have the experience - all I was trying to get at was why couldn't he come up with a patient for me to talk to.

I know I am getting anxious about my surgery the end of May and on some level might be looking for an out but I think the surgeon's office should be a bit more empathetic and understanding.

The secretary told me that the PA would answer all of my questions during my pre-op.

I know I need to take a deep breath and relax but it's bugging me.

Jody
    surgery 5-31-07
    Dr. Wood, Mass General
    Fused T10-L4
    Had 55 degree curve now 6 degrees

i think you have a right to be frustrated!!

my doctor offered me a list of patients to talk to, and i admit, i have not used it yet, because i have all of the forum members to ask questions. BUT- they should be more considerate of your concerns! continue to keep ask for the info and talk to the surgeon if the office employees continue to condescend to you!
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Maybe the other patients didn't agree to letting your doctor give you their contact info...?
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Hi Jody, I just wanted to encourage you to persevere. I've checked out your other posts and I don't think you've mentioned your doctor's name anywhere. Just wondering if you could use this forum, mention his name and find his other patients thru this site. Someone started a query about my doctor (over here in Australia) and I now feel reassured having made contact with at least two other girls seeing the same surgeon. I've also met two other women in person who've already had surgery by my doctor (found them on another website) and it does make a huge difference to my confidence, just seeing these women walking around alive and kicking (and looking gorgeous too!).
        Don't let your doctor's office fob you off - I know it is hard to insist as these doctors act so important sometimes - but I gather from one of your threads there are plenty of good doctors in your area.
        Good luck
        Gen
        Gen, aged 49
        Thoracic curve approx 64*
        Surgery starts 25 June (anterior), posterior 2 wks later (T5 - L1)
        Surgeon: Peter Turner

Comment

Just putting my two cents in -

I agree you have a right to be frustrated and annoyed. I have found that it is common practice for doctors to offer the names of patients (who have agreed to this of course), even before they are asked to do so.

This information has been offered to me on more than one occasion. They know that it will bring comfort and reassurance during an otherwise anxious time. You are not asking for anything unusual and should not be made to feel as if you are.

I agree that you should persevere - and IMHO I find the attitude of the staff unacceptable.

I hope you are given this information soon.
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hi Jody,

I have to agree that if you want to talk to someone that has had the surgery, you have every right too, but they may be asking people that are unwilling to do so!!!

A month ago I got a call from my surgeon's nurse, asking me if I was willing to talk to someone getting ready for the surgery, she was in my age range and close to the length of fusion. I didn't even let her finish her sentence, when I said, absolutely I am willing to help anyone I can.

I wish I would have been smart enough to talk to someone, before mine!!! Don't give up on your effort to do this.

Shari

Comment

I got the chance to talk to one of my surgeon's patients and hear about her experience. The patient said nothing, but good things about her experience and the surgeon's. She was really happy with his ability. This really helped me in the process of preparing for my surgery and helped me to relax more. I would really keep pushing to talk to someone. I'm sure there is at least one person that would be willing to talk to you. Best wishes!!!

Comment

I was able to connect with the PA and vent my frustration. She said that the office was working to improve communication with patients and that they would put me in contact with a patient.

I found a great local buddy through this forum. Thanks Linda and to everyone for offering support. Three weeks to go!

Jody
                surgery 5-31-07
                Dr. Wood, Mass General
                Fused T10-L4
                Had 55 degree curve now 6 degrees

Comment

Working...
                X