Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused......

Hi Guys,

Okay this might sound silly but im confused because these are a lot of us that get the same kind of op done but some people's surgery take so much longer then others when there still get the same fusion done.

For example - People get T3 - L3 done by anterior and posterior i've read some people take 11 hrs or its takes 10 for one side and 8 for the other.
    But in my case mine is taking 8 hrs all together for ant/pot. It just makes me think why other take much longer or less when we are getting the same procedure done?????

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Hi Lee,

I know what you mean, but I think that even though we all have the same condition, we are not the same. Age plays a factor, flexibility, degree of curves and each Doctor seems to have a different approach to this surgery.

That's why I think that it's great that we share our experience with each other, but I don't think we can really compare ourselves to one another!!!

I had ant/post surgery, but 6 days apart. The first one was 5 1/2 hours and the second was 9 1/2. I had 5 discs, a rib and some hip removed in the first one, then the rods and screws in the second.

Shari

Comment

My daughter is fused from T3-L2 and was in the O.R. for about 10 hours and she had posterior only. We all know that you aren't actually being operated on all that time. It takes time to get you positioned properly, prep the back, remove the bone from the hip or rib etc. For Jamie they were having a very hard time getting an I.V. started which added to her time in the O.R. Also, Jamie had osteotomies done which may/may not have added extra time compared to using a rib for the bone graft.

I agree with Shari. Everyone is different and every doctor has a different approach to surgery and if you think about it, no two surgeries are exactly the same even if you are fused the same length using the same procedure.

Jamie was 13 y.o. at the time of surgery, flexible spine, fused from T3-L2, but had both Scoliosis and Kyphosis corrected, used two rods, hooks and wires but no screws.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
      X